Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2008
28 foot irwin

diverdad69 is on a distinguished road
bellingham WA family

Well hello, everyone, i see after some reading that im not the only fool to buy a sailboat with no exp.... cant wait till i learn how. Its for my son, daughter and myself to hit the san juan islands and up into cananda for fun an adventures alike. We bought a 28' irwin, shes big and I like that.

I have a few questions
I took apart the atomic gas 4 motor and found lots of rust in the water jacket but everything else in it looked like brand new.... pistons etc. Should i try and get it going or put an outboard on it?

also the head dont work... can i pull the toilet with out harm or do i need to dry dock it first, im going to rebuild it or replace it.

need to do some wiring and plumbing but its all good as I like projects which inturn teach me what I need to know about the boat.

what else should a person have on a sailboat besides a vhf radio and safety gear? I was going to use my laptop and fugarwa ??? nav software with mini gps..... anything else?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Greetings from La Conner!

Quote:
I have a few questions
I took apart the atomic gas 4 motor and found lots of rust in the water jacket but everything else in it looked like brand new.... pistons etc. Should i try and get it going or put an outboard on it?
Depends on your budget. There's a wealth of information available for that motor. My son-in-law has one on his boat that we've been dealing with. He doesn't have the budget to replace it, so we're going to keep patching it. I'm guessing you already have problems with yours because you have it apart. If not, I go by "if it's not broke, don't fix it" and I have some stories that finally brought me to that conclusion.

Quote:
also the head dont work... can i pull the toilet with out harm or do i need to dry dock it first, im going to rebuild it or replace it.
If you have shut off valves for the intake and outlet but you might want to put a length of hose on each shut off valve that goes above the water line and cap it off.

Quote:
what else should a person have on a sailboat besides a vhf radio and safety gear?
Beer, spare parts like water pump impeller, a sun shower, five gallon plastic water jug for hauling extra water. If you don't have some sort of an auto pilot, save up for one. It makes all the difference when you're putting in some distances. Did I say beer?
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 09-23-2008
28 foot irwin

erps

thanks for the info, the motor was already out of the boat and I was told it had bad valves, i found them to be just a bit sticky, put some oil on them and there fine. im going to have the head machined and then put it back together.... everything else looked brand new. i am missing the shaft coupling for the transmission, and fly wheel cover but so far there not showing up as expensive. the head has no water going to it right now I know the previous owner corked the drains on the engine and sink. maybe even the head. its going tino dry dock with inthe next few weeks so my project wiill start then.

thanks again
Sean
Old 09-24-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Welcome Aboard..You have another Sailnetter on the Hard there in Bellingham..His boat is a 30' Woodie named Oh-Joy and I here he is a pistol.

Did anyone mention Beer yet.

Hey Ray..I was going to empty the rain water out of your dink befor I left today but got to yakking with a guy and forgot...sorry

Last edited by Stillraining; 09-24-2008 at 12:42 AM.
Old 09-24-2008

RocketScience is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by diverdad69 View Post
.....i see after some reading that im not the only fool to buy a sailboat with no exp....
Welcome to MY club!

Oh, just in case nobody else mentioned it, stow plenty of beer.

Last edited by RocketScience; 09-24-2008 at 01:00 AM.
Old 09-24-2008
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Hi from the San Juans. How are the sails and rigging on the boat? You'll want to inspect the standing rigging to make sure it's in good shape before heading out with the family. If you replace the head we have had pretty good luck with a Raritan PHII, not too expensive and dependable. Hope to see you out there sometime.

John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 09-24-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Hey Ray..I was going to empty the rain water out of your dink befor I left today but got to yakking with a guy and forgot...sorry
That's actually a science experiment. Was it turning a pretty shade of green yet?
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.

Last edited by erps; 09-24-2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-24-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
diverdad, I have a '61 Knutson 35 up at The Landings at Colony Wharf in the yard for a refit. I'll probably be up there Saturday if ya wanna yak a while. PM me for contact info if interested. Yes, I'm another one who bought a boat before ever sailing and went from there.
Old 09-24-2008
28 foot irwin

hey charlie, i cant pm yet, something is blocking me from doing so here is my email address diverdad69@yahoo.com get ahold of me there. i was thinking of putting her at colony too before the weather hits. As far as the rigging goes I know the guy i bought it from just came back from a 3 week sail trip.... seems to be ok but if your up for it we could row out there and see it

thanks

DD
Old 09-24-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
I think ya need 10 posts to PM and such. Got to the song thread or the AFOC thread and post some nonsense to get there. I would edit your email diverdad69 at yahoo.com to defeat spam bots.