Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2008

tschmidty is on a distinguished road
I haven't done fiberglass before, but have done auto body work and I am usually not afraid to take something on. Seems to have gone well so far. It'd be different if it was more cosmetic work. I could do it it would just take a heck of a lot longer.

Hoping to get it back together this weekend and then can work on rigging. Just need a couple turnbuckles for the shrouds and a boom and I should be set. For now I will rig a boom out of a 2x2 with just a clamp on the mast to hold it. I want to just get some basic stuff together and see how it sails before I try to get carried away with new blocks and a real boom and what not.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2008
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
Cool. have you figured out what you're gonna do for a main sail yet?

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Meet me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--
Old 10-10-2008

Added some updates, got it back in one piece and made a temporary mast base, and hoisted the one sail it came with. Getting there, hoping to get it out on the water this weekend. Obviously not close to done but should float.

Gone Ridin

Last edited by tschmidty; 10-10-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-10-2008
Anything-Sailing Founder

Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
Cool. Looking forward to seeing the pics of it on the lake

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

--
Old 10-10-2008

Joevacs is on a distinguished road
Ah memories

Cool, I did almost everything your doing 2 years ago on my Venture 17. It was full of rain water and the bow had been ripped from the boat and reattached with bondo. It was a terrible mess. Like you, I wasn't planning to go all out, but the deeper I looked into the job, the more I realized I just go for "all or nothin". So I did.
You'll be glad you did. I am
And of coarse, with a sailboat, you're never really done.
Macgregor, Venture 17 ,#998
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 10-20-2008
Anything-Sailing Founder

Any updates? Were you able to get her on the water?

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

--
Old 11-01-2008

So I actually got it out in the water on Monday and Tuesday for some trial runs. Monday was a bit of a bust fighting with a balky outboard. Broke down and got a trolling motor. Obviously slower but a more reliable and I don't plan on motoring much.

Tuesday was gusty as heck maybe 10 sustained and 20-25 gusts at times. Perfect for a first sail, right? Good news first in that nothing fell off and I made it back just fine. Made for some pretty exciting sailing but gave me a lot of confidence in the boat.

I learned it's pretty hard to single hand in string winds with no reefs and nothing to strap the tiller. When you can't let go of the tiller to drop the jib things get a little hairy at times.

I'll post some pics soon, was too gusty to get any pics on Tuesday.
Old 11-01-2008
Anything-Sailing Founder

Cool. Glad you were able to get it on the water. As for dropping the jib, does the boat have weather helm (tendency to turn into the wind)? If so you can always just turn the bow into the wind and put the boat in irons, drop the jib, then be on your way. If it's a lee helm then you might have to be a bit more creative. One thing I'm curious of, is the mast in the stock location? One thing I didn't get a chance to check when I saw the boat was where the mast step should be mounted.

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

--
Old 11-12-2008

The mast was located on the cabin top, you can see in the picture.

It had a really bad lee helm, especially at low speeds, but I made a new rudder (not done but getting there) and it made a huge difference balancing it off. Could use some tweaking to the shape, but it works pretty well as is.

Got a little electrical panel made with a couple of 12 volt outlets to charge the gps and whatever else while I am out. Need to run a bilge pump and maybe a few lights off it. The GPS is cool since it gives me speed as well as the other functions. Almost got it to 6 mph! Winds were only about 10 mph so not really too bad.

I have almost no idea how to trim the sails for performance and my setup is definitely "rigged" in the bad sense of the word, but I was overall pretty happy with how it sailed. Upwind is much better with a better rudder, was able to get 4 mph upwind in moderate winds and point much higher than before.

Still not close to done (like it ever would) but still able to go out enjoy the water.

One pic looking out and one just showing the main and cockpit. Ignore the dirt, still need to sand and paint the cockpit.

Old 11-13-2008
Anything-Sailing Founder

Awesome. Unfortunately, I'm probably not much better when it comes to trimming the sails. I know just about enough to get it going and keep it going.

I don't know what you could do to get rid of the lee helm although I'm sure there are some here who could.

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

--