Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2008

tschmidty is on a distinguished road
Newport 16 in Charlotte

I posted this somewhere else but figured I would add it here for kicks.

I bought a Newport 16 this weekend. That might be an exageration in that I bought a hull, a mast, an old jib sail, and a trailer really. But what else do you need really? . And the two Icehouse beers in the bilge were just a bonus! OK, no, I did not drink them.

I guess I would say I am new to sailing but used to go out a lot on my grandfather's sunfish up in Michigan every summer, and I have a gaff rigged sail on my kayak I have been playing with lately. But nothing bigger than that. Hoping if this works out it will be a good boat to start with. Big enough for me and a couple others.

The whole seam between the hull and topside (except the transom) was broken and had been siliconed back together. Lots of fun cleaning that out. I built a lift and pulled the top off and am in the process of fixing some bad repairs and damage on the edges.

I have a few pics here, on photobucket, but I can't link to them. You can go there and search for tschmidty69.

You can see where I started to prop up the front after separating it. It actually was held together by the silicon caulk but with a ton of gaps of course. I was originally going to just clean it out and try to epoxy it back together, but I decided after poking at it that it needed to just come apart to do the job right. Right now I have the bottom almost ready and need to start on the top. I've put in about 6 hours (including trips to the store) so far.

Suggestions for how to put it back together would be appreciated if anyone has any. My plan is to make sure both mating surfaces are flat. then epoxy and rivets, with washers on the bottom of the rivets. I don't see a huge need to through bolt it, it would be a bit stronger but more money.

It really shouldn't be too long until I get it going, but we'll see. If not I have a trailer for my next boat!

I'll probably use this posts for updates since I am not sure where else would be appropriate.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2008
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
Cool. Good luck on your restoration. That's the same one I passed on a week or so ago.

Here

You're already a lot further along then I would have been by this time. It was just way too involved for me to tackle but hopefully you'll be able to get het back on the water.

Have you given any though about what you're going to do for a boom?

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Meet me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--
Old 09-25-2008

Thanks, I actually have a blog I had all of one post on, so figured I would throw some updates in case anyone cares to see what I am up to on this little boat. It's goneridin at blogspot.com but I can't post a link yet.
Old 09-25-2008
Anything-Sailing Founder

Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
lol twp more to go. post a couple more and you'll be good to go.

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

--
Old 09-25-2008
Anything-Sailing Founder

I'm interested. I wanna see just how much it'll take to get her in shape Especially since I passed on buying it.

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

--
Old 09-25-2008
Anything-Sailing Founder

Hey, saw the blog and thought you might be interested in this site. They have some pretty good prices on hardware and all things related to small boats. Also a good resource for boat builders.

Duckworks

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

--
Old 09-25-2008

Thanks. I have some good resources, but right now I am trying to hold off on anything until I get the thing floating and see how that goes first so we'll see.
Old 09-30-2008

So the entire deck core was rotten and I am rebuilding it. I must say I am happy I am working on a small boat and can get to everything, cause as with any repair getting good access to do the work well is more than half of the battle.

Anyway added an update here, Gone Ridin with pictures.
Old 09-30-2008
'87 Pearson 27'

jackytdunaway is on a distinguished road
i saw your blog. you are jumping in with both feet. Have you done fiberglass work before?
Old 09-30-2008
Anything-Sailing Founder

Wow. Nice bit of progress. Definitely a lot more then I could have done.

Glad to see you making headway

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

--