Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2008

scove is on a distinguished road
Thx Faster. I just took a look at the park guide for Halkett Bay and it looks wonderful! And they repeat your warning about the rock and favoured East shore. Have you ever used the park buoy? Any tricks anchoring? The park guide says that there is good anchorage without stern ties. Does that match your experience?

So far we've been doing OK limiting our day sailing to the East of the second narrows. That said I was looking longingly at English bay last weekend (good wind and no rain). Lucky for me I managed to get home in time from a Sunday run to Steveston Marine to get out for a couple hours with the older boys. By that time the sun was even shining in Deep Cove

If we keep this up and invest in something larger we'll certainly be looking for moorage farther West if possible.

BLog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Beneteau 411
Somewhere in the Caribbean with 3 kids in tow
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2008
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
Welcom to Sailnet. Cool story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scove View Post
- replace broken rudder bolt (included getting a diver to fetch the rudder off the bottom of the marina; there's a good story)
That is too funny. This is when a diving cert comes in handy

Hopefully you won't have to do that too many more times though.

Again, welcome, and it looks like you're getting some pretty good experience . Keep it up...

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Meet me at

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--
Old 10-09-2008
*starboard*

merlin2375 will become famous soon enough
Ah very nice! Welcome aboard, safe travels
Old 10-09-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Thx Faster. I just took a look at the park guide for Halkett Bay and it looks wonderful! And they repeat your warning about the rock and favoured East shore. Have you ever used the park buoy? Any tricks anchoring? The park guide says that there is good anchorage without stern ties. Does that match your experience?
The park buoys are quite exposed and in relatively shallow water. They are particularly exposed to SE winds that can kick up this time of year. They are also large and clunky square things usually found on the West Coast for fishboats. I'd avoid them.

Anchoring near the dinghy dock is quite good in mud, very solid holding there but don't go far past the dock, it shoals quickly (check the overnight tides) You do get the ferry wash from time to time here, though, and if you're broadside to it your dinner might get tossed. The ferries do stop overnight, so it's quiet then.

Anchoring in the Eastern bight with a stern tie (near the site of an old log dump - large boulder on the water's edge - keeps you out of the wash but it's a long row to the park dock. We have had rafts of up to 25 boats in this area and it was secure, and also a bit protected from the overnight outflows which are common in summer.

A more sheltered option would be the next bay, Pt Graves (East Bay/Long Harbour) a few miles around the corner. Decent holding but a risk of snagging old logging cables etc, it's cleaner but windier in front of the Camp dock. Also subject to the outflows, but they are not so common in the fall unless there's an interior high set up - then it's just plain nasty.

Then of course there's always Snug Cove on Bowen as a bail-out - but moorage there is scarce in winter as they tend to convert a lot of transient slips to winter moorage. Kinda pricey too.

Enjoy... circumstances are conspiring against our getting out this weekend.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 10-09-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-09-2008

Hmmm ... forecast is for northerly outflows up to 25kts for the first half of the weekend then swinging around to the SE and lightening up as the rain returns for Sunday and Monday. Sounds uncomfortable unless we can find some place that is sheltered from the north.

If the forecast is for 25kts outflows that seem to indicate to me that it can gust a lot higher as the wind compresses around Bowen I. especially around the esastern channel. Is the west the better side to take?

This forecast is sounding a bit out of our comfort zone. We've sailed in 20kt wind on our return from Victoria (broad reaching with a reefed main) and crossed G. Straight in 15 - 20 (beam reach with a full main + jib). This seems a bit trickier. Thoughts?

BLog:

Beneteau 411
Old 10-09-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Welcome Aboard Scove...very well done so far to.
Old 10-09-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Hmmm ... forecast is for northerly outflows up to 25kts for the first half of the weekend then swinging around to the SE and lightening up as the rain returns for Sunday and Monday. Sounds uncomfortable unless we can find some place that is sheltered from the north.

If the forecast is for 25kts outflows that seem to indicate to me that it can gust a lot higher as the wind compresses around Bowen I. especially around the esastern channel. Is the west the better side to take?

This forecast is sounding a bit out of our comfort zone. We've sailed in 20kt wind on our return from Victoria (broad reaching with a reefed main) and crossed G. Straight in 15 - 20 (beam reach with a full main + jib). This seems a bit trickier. Thoughts?
That forecast, is, unfortunately, typical for non summer fair weather in Howe Sound. The big outflow blasts generally peter out around Bowen, or even Pam Rocks, unless they are forecast to go to 30+. Keep in mind that the big breezes in Howe Sound are not USUALLY combined with large seas, so that's an aspect of dealing with the conditions that is different from out on the Strait.

In your case I'd be tempted to suggest that you go to Plumper Cove on Keats Is, near Gibsons Landing. Generally immune to the outflows, a nice park too, with good floats and several good buoys. Gibsons harbour is nearby in case you got uncomfortable.

It's not too many miles (2-3) farther (than Halkett) if you go along the bottom (Georgia Strait) side of Bowen Island. Even coming across the top of Bowen it's do-able but you put yourself closer to those outflow winds.

You'll like the park.. great walks and vantage points, biffies, an old orchard. It's a bit busy with wash from passing boats but you can't have everything... and again usually settles down at night. The Shoal Channel entrance to Gibsons is passable at most any positive tide but stay in the middle and pay attention to your charts...

Good luck! btw feel free to continue this discussion via PMs if you like.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 10-09-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-09-2008
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Welcome Scove- it sounds like you and the family are having a lot of fun. Hope to see you out there sometime. By the way, you are getting advice from the right guy. Faster is the resident Canadian guru to ask about that area, and a lot of others too.

Fair winds, John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 10-10-2008

I haven't taken the time to build up enough posts yet to be allowed to PM at this point. Plus my wife (not yet a member) is following the thread.

Thanks for the Plumper Cove suggestion. I recall considering it earlier in the summer but put it out of my mind as it seemed like it would get crowded quickly. It should be perfect this time of year. And the forecast is getting a little better.

I only have the smaler scale chart 3526 so I'll pop by Martin Marine tomorrow and see if they have the large scale chart (3534).

Thanks for all your suggestions!

BLog:

Beneteau 411
Old 10-14-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster
Hey

Did you get out this past weekend? Saturday and Sunday looked pretty nice and I was not a happy camper being stuck on the beach.

Yesterday I didn't feel so bad...

Anyway just thought I'd check in and ask how things went. Quite windy overnight last night, but don't think it got up too much before dark.

If you can't PM yet just update your thread if you like.

Cheers
Ron
We did get out and it was great. Saturday was quite nice and there was a comfortable amount of wind. We ended up staying Halkett Bay the whole time. It was very calm and protected (hope to have pictures up soon). We let the older boys explore in the Dinghy and they loved it.

There were 6 other sailboats there, 3 rafted together with a powerboat (lots of kids). That was a decent number so it didn't feel too crowded. It seems like it could get quite busy in the summer. It seems to me that you'd want to get there mid-week or Friday in the summer time to get a good spot.

Yesterday wasn't so nice but I put on my wet weather gear and we just motored home (6 hours with our little 15hp merc including stopping for gas a couple times). Everyone else pretty much stayed below, played cards and red books most of the time. All in all we managed rather well.

Lessons learned:

- Don't forget to bring a spare propane tank. We're still using our coleman stove and ran out of gas heading dishwater the first night. We were tempted to head over to HS bay or Gibsons to resupply but elected to have a cold dinner and more time to enjoy our spot.

- Bring more extra food. We had to dig into day 3's food on day 2 since we couldn't cook dinner.

- Buy an up to date cruising book for this area. The sailing directions said that Sung Cove had gas, it just wasn't clear that this was not for boats. HS bay is where you need to go. This made for a few tense moments when we realized that we were down to an hour of fuel and the place we thought we could get more didn't have any.

- Could still use some improvements to our wet weather gear. We all need rubber boots. I have neoprene paddling boots but you still get cold. The kids have outgrown their rain boots from last season so it's time to go shopping. The older boy needs a new rain jacket as he lost his waterproof one this summer.

- Don't use the cell phone in the rain. They don't like water. This one really hurts as it's a new phone on a new plan so it looks like I'll have to pay the full replacement cost

All in all it was a great trip and I'd be happy to do it again.

BLog:

Beneteau 411