Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Glad it went well for you.. Halkett's only a problem in extreme outflows, and it never gets rough, but you can be slammed around by the breeze a bit. Glad it didn't happen this time.

Up to date cruising guides are a problem.. your example is made worse by the fact that Esso is getting completely out of the marine fuel business so fuel sources are harder to find than ever. Best buy some Jerry cans. There hasn't been marine fuel in Snug cove for a decade. The Dreamspeaker series is the most updated, but even they could be 8 yrs old depending on the edition your find. The PY ones are 25 years old.

Being able to cook is good.... esp on cooler days. But you know that, right!

Good on ya!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Looks like you learned some valuable lesseons.
Ouch on the cell phone, and local knowledge is the key.
The chart books and charts are often outdated as soon as they are printed in most cases. Always phone or radio ahead.
I am curious though, on our boat we carry 20 gallons of diesel and I can motor for about 24 hours at cruising speeds, why the need for two fuel stops in a 6 hour motor? That sounded a bit odd to me.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 10-14-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Looks like you are doing well. Your oldest looks like a natural at the helm.
Be safe, have fun. In that order.
Old 10-14-2008

scove is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
I am curious though, on our boat we carry 20 gallons of diesel and I can motor for about 24 hours at cruising speeds, why the need for two fuel stops in a 6 hour motor? That sounded a bit odd to me.
The short answer is that I was unable to fill up at the first stop as they no longer sell gas.

In the interest of sharing, here's the long story in case anyone wants to learn from my mistakes. Maybe I should change my screen name to "still learning"

Background: we have a 15hp 2 stroke ob and two 25L gas cans.

I wasn't able to get off work in time on Friday to fill up so we had to leave with one empty tank and one only 2/3 full (we had to leave before the Deep Cove pumps were open to make 2nd narrows at slack). That was enough to get us to Mosquito Creek.

I only filled the empty tank and didn't top up the one we'd been using as I was at about 1/2 full and figured I'd have more than enough to get to our destination plus to Gibsons or to another source. I was right but that did not leave much comfort room. Lesson: top up every tank every chance you get!

We didn't go to Gibsons but made a last minute change of plans to stay longer in Halkett Bay. This was based on the assumption that we'd be able to get gas in Snug Cove (sailing directions said you could get gas there - clearly now we know that that's not the case and hasn't been for a while). Lesson: we should have called ahead and confirmed.

Yesterday we start to head home with one empty tank and the other 1/2 full and start by stopping by Snug Cove and find there isn't gas (this is the first gas stop). I traded a power boater information on where the closest gas dock was for current conditions (low visibility, rain but mostly calm water in the channels). We motor over to Horseshoe Bay where we do find gas (second gas stop). I fill both tanks (starting to learn from earlier mistakes) and motor the rest of the way home. I was able to complete the the trip from HSB to DC on one tank (good to know for future reference .... though we were traveling with the tide which I'm sure helped a bit).

We probably could have made it from Snug Cove to Mosquito Creek on that 1/2 tank but we would really have been running low and I didn't like the idea of risking the narrows and the harbor with the imminent loss of engine power a real possibility. I felt much better going through the narrows knowing that I had 1 and 1/2 tanks.

BLog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Beneteau 411
Somewhere in the Caribbean with 3 kids in tow
Old 10-14-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Nicely done. I love the expression on the little one when he saw whatever he saw.
Old 10-14-2008

I think he was just making a face ... kids, they like to do that.

10 posts! Now I can PM

BLog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Beneteau 411
Old 10-14-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
scove:

Your reference to bringing extra food is well found.. we once came upon some acquaintances on Jedidiah Island, where we went to hide out from a nasty SE coming through. They had come the 12 miles from Secret Cove for the a one night stay. The got stuck by the weather, and three days later were still there - two adults, three kids, a dog on a 24 footer. They were down to their last cracker.

We put a roast on the barby and invited them for dinner, it was, of course, well received. I doubt they would have starved, there were plenty of others there that would have helped out, but they were happy to run into someone they knew.

The next day ended up being a flat water chug as the system had passed through.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-15-2008

Remote thoughts of having to ask around did cross my mind at one point. I'm reading "Care and Feeding" by the Pardey's and they talk about packing for enough for their planned passage + 50% extra + emergency rations. For a trip as short as ours those ratios probably don't apply exactly as it's not difficult for us to pack enough for double the time. As your example clearly demonstrates, it's easy to wind up doubling a short trip due to weather delays.

BLog:

Beneteau 411

Last edited by scove; 10-15-2008 at 02:11 AM.
Old 10-15-2008

Here are some pictures from the weekend at Halkett Bay:

Halkett Bay Marine Park - a set on Flickr

BLog:

Beneteau 411
Old 10-15-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
WOW! Beautiful scenery! Nice pics.

FWIW, at the start of the season we stock up on nonperishables.
Boxes of Mac and cheese, lots of canned soups, those Ramon Noodle packets of soups, for me cans of Chef-boy-rd, and a couple of gallons of drinking water (although we carry 100 gallons in our tanks, we don't drink that water, but would if we had to). This is our emergency supply. Never have run out of the chef boy rd. Nobody ever eats it but its there for emergency purposes.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.