Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2008

izack is on a distinguished road
Red face Hello and looking for some advice

I live in San Francisco and have acquired an urge to forgo the life I am currently living and absolve myself to the winds of the world.

I have always longed to sail and now that I feel my life has opened that possibility I am looking into it. I am planning on traveling down to Mexico, specifically to the Yucatan.

Somewhere along the way I would like to be taken on board a vessel and sail the seas.

Now for your advise. Is this a possibility, do people look to take strangers on their ship as part of their crew? Could I randomly come across a ship that would be willing to take me?

I feel that I should have some skills to offer. A friend of mine sugested I take a course in navigation. I am very good with technology, as I have been working in it for a number of years. I am a certified diver and proficient with my hands. I am good at fixing things that are broken, and learn new skills very quickly.

If you recommend that I look into navigation, would you have any suggestion on courses or certifications I can take?

Can anyone help point me in the right direction, or give me some advice on where to begin. It would be much appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2008
Leap! The net will appear

SailChick20 is on a distinguished road
Hate to damper your plans....but you say you have "longed" to sail. Please take no offense, because most of us know what you mean...if you're referring to a wrench in your chest every time you pass a harbor...wishing you had one of your own.

Have you done much, or any, sailing? Might want to get some experience doing that before you sail the ocean blue.

What if your longing isn't really a love?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. "
~ Cadet Maxim
Old 10-02-2008
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Gotta echo Sailchick, get some sailing experience. Your in SF,one of the great sailing areas of the world. Find a club or take some lessons, that's the most important thing for you to do before you decide to sail the seas. You can take a CG Auxiliary class and that will give you a lot of fundamentals, including basic nav. Google CG Aux classes and you'll find one in your area. Good luck.

John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 10-02-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
I know a Sailnetter looking for crew going South in SF right now. Go to the ignore thread or the song thread and make nine more useless posts and PM me for details. You can crew to LA or on down to La Paz in the Baja Ha Ha aboard an HC-33.
Old 10-07-2008

izack is on a distinguished road
Thanks Sailchick, your correct that I don't have much experience sailing, I have been out a couple times when I was quite young. I also have a terrible memory from boat diving outside of Monterey where my stomach decided it was best if I stayed floating in the frigid water than climb back on board (I suspect this was a relatively tame ocean condition). So I should really get some more time/experience before setting out on something big.

I guess the longing stems more for the travel then the actual experience of sailing which as you have noted I really can't have any opinion on yet. I love seeing new places and cultures and I despise forms of transport that consume natural resources.

I love biking but for long distance sailing appears to be the best method. So I can really only say that I hope from my planned future experience that the "longing" or desire can become a love>

I'll check out the CG Aux, thanks for that tip John.

Charlie as has been noted I need some local experience before setting out on anything. Also I'm not thinking about leaving until December, but thanks for the offer.
Old 10-07-2008

sasfish is on a distinguished road
re

AHHHH SF home of latitude 38. What a great spot to get some sail under your belt. My dad lives in Santa cruz