SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   My Introduction (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/47867-my-introduction.html)

Popeye77 10-09-2008 11:15 PM

My Introduction

I'm returning after some time away to sailing. I learned to sail on an old chrysler dinghy sailor, then had a catalina 24 and catalina 27. We had some major life changes smack us in the face and had to leave our delta paradise. We lost our oldest daughter in 1997 and then I was transfered across country. It was "go" or give up the years I had invested in my career. Now, I'm finally nearing the end of that career, or at least close enough to get the house in order.
My wife and I have talked about living aboard for years, and now that I'm closing in on retirement, the next few years, we're getting serious about our plans.
We're doing a lot of research and are leaning towards a 32 to 36 foot boat. Sure, we'd love a 50+ footer, but then we'd have to pay the 50+ foot slip fees, and we do have a budget to stick too. Although the size of the boat is not necesarrily proportional to the maintenance cost it is a factor.
We spent our sailing days in the San Francisco bay and Sacramento Delta. We're hoping to eventually head out the gate. Before that day we want to get the ASA certifications and experience with "our" boat. We're adventurous, but I'd like to think we're not reckless.
That's all I have for now.
Thanks

Stillraining 10-10-2008 12:25 AM

Welcome Aboard Popeye..

I just returned back into sailing my self after a 30 year hiatus..although I always maintained a power boat of some sort.

It only felt like I had been away for a couple weeks once I hoisted the sail...albeit only one so far..:p..my point is if you knew how to sail you did not forget it..OK...go for it and have fun...By the way I went from 24 to 41 in that jump so no big deal there either.

Sorry about you loss also...Sailnet just lost one of our own kids as well.

Popeye77 10-12-2008 07:07 PM

Thanks for the comments. Loosing a child is something that just isn't supposed to happen.
On the sailing side, I've always heard the larger the boat the easier it was to sail. I didn't notice a huge difference between the 22 and 27, but definately did between the dinghy and the Catalina 22.
A 40 ish foot boat sounds great, I'm just concerned about the docking fees. That may be changing with the way the economy is going, but the economy is a whole other thread.
Thanks

bubb2 10-12-2008 08:25 PM

Welome to Sailnet Popeye. My heart goes out to you and your wife. "Loosing a child is something that just isn't supposed to happen."

djodenda 10-12-2008 08:52 PM

Popeye:

Welcome.

Glad to see that you will be sailing again.

The rest of us have at least some inkling about losing a daughter, and we sympathize with you.

David