Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2008
"OLD SALT"

easygoing is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard. Hope to here from you agin.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Bill"
S/V "Silly Bette"
1968 38' Hughes
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Welcome to Sailnet.
Old 10-19-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeChris View Post
Ahh Maders. They have great food there. I was actually just offered a share in a boat at McKinley marina. I have sailed with the guy quite a bit and loved hanging out after a good sail in the slip and relaxing in the marina.

Where's your home port?
Currently Holland Michigan and we were in Monroe Chicago for over 25 years.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 10-27-2008
Leap! The net will appear

SailChick20 is on a distinguished road
Greetings! I'm in Chicago, nice sharin' the Lake with ya!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. "
~ Cadet Maxim
Old 12-05-2008

mkeChris is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
Currently Holland Michigan and we were in Monroe Chicago for over 25 years.
How are the facilities there in Holland? I was really pleased with the marina just to the south of the inlet at Muskegon. They had tons of free showers, a nice dining area, and very nice staff.

I'm going to be doing some more trips over to your side of the lake next season. Is Holland a port worth checking out? A friend of mine is going to be flying in from Virginia for a week of cruising and we've got to pick some destinations.

If you want to meet some locals, visit - Milwaukee Sailing Forum. We've got a growing community of local southeastern Wisconsin sailors there, but we welcome you Easterners as well

Visit
for milwaukee and local sailing resources
Old 12-06-2008

Chris,
In my opinion Eldean's Ship Yard in Holland Michigan is one of the finest marinas on the Great Lakes. Beautiful, clean facilities, wonderful maintained gardens, extremely clean showers, club house, pool , hot tubs, laundry, you name it they got it. Along with a very tentative staff, ship's store, and full service yard with haul out, repairs, and mast services. There is nothing that Eldean's is lacking.

From Milwaukee its about 75 miles if I am not mistaken.
That is a nice long sail, (we routinely sail between Holland and Chicago.)

The Michigan Side of Lake Michigan is in complete contrast to the Illinois Wisconsin shore. On the Michigan side you will have more of a wilderness feel to it. Gone are the rocky shorelines and high rocky bluffs, instead you will fine lots of wilderness, forests, dunes, and miles upon miles of white sand beaches. I'm sure you experienced some of that on your trip to Muskegon.

Holland and Eldean's is not a port or stop over of any conveniences to local shopping and eating. There is a very fine restaurant; The Piper, on the marina grounds, but you are approximately 4 miles from town and shopping.

Do your provisioning at South Haven (another fine Port of Call on the Michigan side that I recommend you add to your itinerary) than head on up to Eldean's for a relaxing good time. You will not be disappointed.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White

Last edited by sailortjk1; 12-06-2008 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-06-2008

mkeChris is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
Chris,
Do your provisioning at South Haven (another fine Port of Call on the Michigan side that I recommend you add to your itinerary) than head on up to Eldean's for a relaxing good time. You will not be disappointed.
Fantastic! Thanks for the info! I had heard good things about South Haven as well. Plus they usually have a few boats of interest for sale there. Eldeans sounds nice. It looks like Holland has a nice inlet waterway to explore... I think we'll check it out. What would you say, 4 - 6 hours from south haven to holland? (this would be on a Catalina 30 with completely blown out sails)

Visit
for milwaukee and local sailing resources
Old 12-07-2008
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Welcome to the asylum

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 12-07-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike Chris View Post
What would you say, 4 - 6 hours from south haven to holland?
It's 25 Nautical Miles.

South Haven has a very nice municipal marina. The municipal actually has three different locations on the river. All are an easy walk into town which has just about everything the cruising boater could need.

Other Ports I would recommend in the area are Grand Haven and White Lake.

Edit: Forgot to add Saugatuck to that list. If you have a wife on board she will love Saugatuck. Its not one of my favorites because its about a two mile motor up the river from the lake. I don't recommend entering at night for the first time. The river can be a bit tricky the first time through. It narrow, winding, and shallow. The channel is well marked but the buoys and cans are not lit, so entering and exiting in darkness is a bit of a challenge.

Last edited by sailortjk1; 12-07-2008 at 06:36 PM.