SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Hello from Milwaukee and Lake Michigan (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/47926-hello-milwaukee-lake-michigan.html)

mkeChris 10-12-2008 01:09 AM

Hello from Milwaukee and Lake Michigan

Hey everyone!

So the sailing season is winding to a close in the great lakes and now it's time to get back to dreaming about sailing rather than actually being out there. I thought this might be an interesting place to meet up with other Lake Michigan sailors, swap stories and whatever else. I've been sailing for about 5 years now, primarily out of the sailing club in Milwaukee. This year I've done quite a bit more "offshore" (if you can call it that in Lake Michigan) sailing and have been introduced to a lot of new experiences. Anyway, look forward to talking with you all. If anyone is interested, check out my site that's local to Lake Michigan sailors. - Milwaukee Sailing Forum
It's okay if you're not from around these parts, but it's a good way to get in touch with the locals.

sailaway21 10-12-2008 01:11 AM

Welcome on board. Go Packers!

mkeChris 10-12-2008 01:14 AM

Thanks much! Hopefully the Pack starts to pick up some slack... I find myself missing the Favre days already :(

camaraderie 10-12-2008 09:23 AM

Chris...welcome...we Jets fans thank you for your generousity! :D

sailortjk1 10-12-2008 10:52 PM

Hello from another L Michigan sailor.
Welcome.

djodenda 10-12-2008 11:46 PM

Welcome, Chris..

What kind(s) of boats do you sail?

David

mkeChris 10-14-2008 10:41 PM

Hey David,
I don't own my own boat, so I sail on anything that I someone will let me board. I am a member of the Milwaukee Sailing Center which is where I do most of my sailing. They have a nice fleet of Pearson Ensigns that are fun to sail with others who aren't sailors, but I most enjoy sailing the J/24's at the center. Occasionally I'll take out one of the Solings as they are fast and fun, but not very comfortable for too long. A friend of mine from work has a Hunter 27 that I did most of my distance sailing on this year. This year I also got to get out and try a Catalina 30 and a Merit 25. Love them all so far :)
That Catalina 30 has been my favorite in terms of comfort and pleasure sailing.

How about you David?

Stryker72 10-15-2008 10:45 AM

Hi Chris,

I learned to sail at the community sailing center last summer, this year I didn't have much time to get down there but I have been sailing my javelin out on Pewaukee lake.

Paul

sailortjk1 10-15-2008 11:17 AM

FWIW, we finally made a trip to Milwaukee this season. Stayed up at McKinley Marina and loved it. The Marina had a small town feel with big city atmosphere. Of course, we hopped a cab and I took my wife to dinner at Mader's. The Schnitzle was outstanding.

mkeChris 10-17-2008 11:59 PM

Ahh Maders. They have great food there. I was actually just offered a share in a boat at McKinley marina. I have sailed with the guy quite a bit and loved hanging out after a good sail in the slip and relaxing in the marina.

Where's your home port?