I'll shoot for Wednesday. I'm working on the... BOAT!
I gotta boat now. I'm not sure how ham radio will fare in the next few months. lol
Cleaning out the Old | Winds of Change
Check out the blog. We picked up the boat yesterday. Wow... what an experience.
I spent all of today - from about 10:30 Am til about an hour ago ripping out a lot of the old stuff from the inside. There was a lot of things I needed to look under and see.
All in all, I bought a boat for 3500 bucks (and trailer) and she's in really good shape. I traced her "genealogy" to 1991 so far here in Colorado. Apparently she came from another state before that though I haven't been in contact yet with the original owner (I think there have been three owners, before me. I am number four).
She was well cared for at least up til the last guy. He took ok care of her, and seems pretty knowledgeable about boats, but was certainly a bachelor (60 years old) and didn't do as well as he could have.
The boat has NO LOGS at all. No one kept one. I kinda of "shamed" him into keeping one next time. He said one of his boats in the past had a log and he wasn't very good about keeping logs I guess. This one, he never bothered. It wasn't in the ocean (in Blue Mesa Reservoir).
I'm pretty happy. I went over the boat today for about seven hours finding everything I could that was WRONG with the boat and noting it in a book. I'll get a real "log book" later on and transcribe things and pass that on with the boat if and when I sell her.
I removed everything from the boat that wasn't nailed/screwed down. Cleaned the cushions (covers). Examined the portapotty and found it cleaned hehe good for me.
I removed the "ceiling carpet" - ack. I can't believe carpet on the ceiling. Anyway, was mounted on a 1/4" plywood and there was plenty of evidence of leaks from above.
I found all the points where leaks could be found.
The GOOD part was the boat interior, down in the bilge area and anywhere there were bolts and through-hull things is clean. The exception is the rudder brackets. The original wood is there from when the boat was built and there have been some minor leaks and some seepage there. I'll be replacing that wood and the bolts holding the brackets next week.
The ceiling "wood" I'll also be replacing with a nice fine-grained plywood that has been sanded, stained and properly put in (I can do wood work
The electrical system, not much to speak of actually, is a few lights inside and the exterior running lights. I'll be rewiring all of that over the next few weeks, building a better lighting switch panel and probably replacing the battery, buying a solar panel and putting in a small AC inverter. I will likely install at least a couple of radios on the boat as well - but they will amateur radio systems and perhaps an packet email system. We'll see.
Anyway, check out the blog. I've got some pictures up on links on the side. You can click those and look at pictures.
73 to all