Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2008

N0NJY is on a distinguished road
RickD - N0NJY - Hiya (Ham Radio Operator)

My name is Rick Donaldson.

Call sign is N0NJY (that's a Zero there) and I'm an Amateur Extra Class License holder (ham radio operator).

I wandered in since I was invited over from another site.

Wife and I are new to sailing - and are in the process of purchasing a used boat, a Venture 25.

The boat is not-yet-named, but will be this spring in an "official" (read: Traditional) ceremony. We live in Land-Locked Colorado Springs and hope to be out on the ocean within 3-4 years (not with the boat we're buying).

This boat is our "learning boat". We'll be attending some ASA basic courses this spring, sailing around the same time and naming the boat right after we put her in the water again.

I'm here for advice, information and education.

I'm also here to help you folks.

I have over 40 years of experience in HF radio systems (as well as VHF, UHF and many other systems). I was in the Air Force for twenty-six years, retired in 2002 officially. I was in the active side for 14 years - during which I served in Combat Communications for five years and the White House Communications Agency for eight years providing Presidential Communications for Presidents Reagan, Bush and former Presidents Nixon, Ford, and Carter and several of the First Ladies. I've traveled all over the world - 45 countries now, almost every state in the US and about 300 major cities world-wide.

My last twelve years of military service were in the USAF Reserves and they shared me with a local college where I taught basic and advanced electronic theory, as well as digital theory.

I am currently working at a military installation somewhere near Colorado Springs on electronic systems.

Since I am relatively useless at the moment as a sailor but will have a boat by Saturday this week, I am offering my help in electronics, and in particular radio and antenna theory and with problems.

I have some experience with packet radio and will be looking into things like "Sailmail" and similar systems, and I've got some experience with many different types of computer operating systems.

Currently I have access to, and use, XP Pro, Vista, and use or have used Linux (Ubuntu, CentOS).

My wife is JoAnne and she may or may not join me here from time to time.

We started a blog recently which is about our dream to sail and cruise. That blog can be found at: Our Boat | Winds of Change

I have a "political blog" (of sorts) located at: Reality Check

A site I assist in administering is located at: The Trans-Asian Axis

(No I'm not advertising anything, those are simply places you can read about things I do or have done).

Last year my wife and I took radio gear to Jamaica for an unsuccessful "DXpedition" (that's where we set up in a foreign location and have local call signs, and attempt to make as many contacts with other hams around the world as possible). The "DXpedition" failed because the TSA folks managed to break my transmitter enroute and I didn't have the proper tools available to repair the radio system.

I look forward to doing my best to help folks with radio issues - and to learn from you folks as well.

Feel free to contact or PM me any time.

73!

Rick Donaldson, CET, NØNJY
It's better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for who you're not.

Last edited by N0NJY; 10-21-2008 at 06:28 PM. Reason: misssssssspelllllling - ack
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Hey Rick...welcome aboard. Try off topic for the political stuff. I think you'll like OUR presidential poll results!
Thanks for the good introduction!
Old 10-21-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Hey Rick...welcome aboard. Try off topic for the political stuff. I think you'll like OUR presidential poll results!
Thanks for the good introduction!
how, pray tell will I get there? LOL

Thanks for the invite.

I've been in emails working out the final details of buying our boat.

Should be headed over to get it Saturday if the weather holds out.

We have to pick it up on the other side of the Great Divide.... 12000 feet above sea level... The current owner has agreed to move it to THIS side and I'll pick it up about 2/3 of the way there (185 miles away).

Wow...

Almost have our first boat.

moˈloːn laˈbe!

Let those winds of change blow over my head,
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead - Jimmy Buffet
Old 10-21-2008
Always learning...

jwoytek is on a distinguished road
N0NJY de KB3HOZ. I'm a new sailor as well, and also an amateur radio operator (currently general, studying for extra). My wife and I are working on buying our first boat, too, and I'm excited to spend some time building and installing some radio equipment on it. I spend most of my time now playing with electronics and APRS gear. I think you'll find this forum full of all sorts of useful information--I know that it has been a great resource for me in just a few months of reading. Maybe I'll catch you on the maritime net someday.

jonathan
KB3HOZ
Old 10-21-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoytek View Post
N0NJY de KB3HOZ. I'm a new sailor as well, and also an amateur radio operator (currently general, studying for extra). My wife and I are working on buying our first boat, too, and I'm excited to spend some time building and installing some radio equipment on it. I spend most of my time now playing with electronics and APRS gear. I think you'll find this forum full of all sorts of useful information--I know that it has been a great resource for me in just a few months of reading. Maybe I'll catch you on the maritime net someday.

jonathan
KB3HOZ
Woot! More hams, just what the world needs

I'm going to put a 2m rig in, and probably set up for HF only "because" but this is a "practice boat" for us.

See you on the air.

moˈloːn laˈbe!

Old 10-22-2008

windward54 is on a distinguished road
Hey, always room for another ham! And you can catch me when I'm on the boat which right now is my only ham shack.

Karl
KI6CZP
WDE4472
Old 10-22-2008

Wife's call is KB0IRW - She's currently a tech (she JUST upgraded a few months back from Novice )

moˈloːn laˈbe!

Old 10-22-2008

Just one more test to make general! It is easy now that they did away with the CW test. I'm usually on 20 meters, but I'm normally only on the air Wednesday evenings and some weekend nights. Out here on the West Coast, 40 meters gets blasted with shortwave stations from the Far East most evenings.
Old 10-23-2008

Im on 20 meters right now. But, I see you're not connected to the site...

I'm listening to someone running a pile up on 14.167 at the moment.

Haven't caught his call yet. PJ2 portable QX not catching his actual call right now. Oh well.

Some island someplace though!

moˈloːn laˈbe!

Old 10-24-2008

Darn it! Work gets in the way again. Some day I'lll have to do something about it, but it sure gets in the way of a lot of fun at times.