Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2008

rigs is on a distinguished road
Hello

Hello I'm Jim
I like long walks in the park foreign films... sorry wrong site.
I grew up sailing in south Florida and now that mid life is here yearn to punch out and sail. Need to get the wife on board any thoughts or suggestion

Last edited by rigs; 10-24-2008 at 02:14 PM. Reason: English is my first language
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2008
O'day 26

joeybkcmo is on a distinguished road
duct tape, strong rope and a blindfold? but once you get her on board keeping her there is another story.
Welcome to the site, try a couple of day sails on nice days, and go from there

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-24-2008

rigs is on a distinguished road
Duct tape- check
Rope- check
Blindfold she has her own... she needed it to walk down the isle
We've had a few 3 to 4 days cruises and they went well.
I'm planning on a week long charter in the BVIs. I hope that will get er done.
Old 10-24-2008
O'day 26

joeybkcmo is on a distinguished road
sounds like a good plan, have not chartered the BVI's myself, but have known 3 groups who have and loved it. heck it the wife does not want to go, I wil

Old 10-24-2008
Ignoring Trolls in 2009

TxLnghrn is on a distinguished road
Welcome Rigs,
I'm sure you will find sailnet as great a resource as I have.
As for the BVI, My wife and I chartered there last Jan. That trip made the idea of excursions longer than daysails a reality for her and one she loved. She now has started sugesting that we buy a bigger boat, move onto it and eventually cast off and cruise....woohoo I would recommend that you go in winter/spring, unless you plan on getting a boat with an A/C. We did a flotilla with Sunsail and I highly recommend it if you/her haven't sailed the BVI before. It helps a lot with planning, however, it is not designed to be a follow the leader type approach. The lead boat/hostess brief you on the next anchorage and then you meet them there. We actually left our flotilla for 2 days to go up to Anegada with another group and it wasn't any problem. The hostess makes dinner plans in most ports but attendance isn't required. One other advantage is having support (lead boat crew) closely available. A problem with our dinghy engine was solved on the spot instead of waiting 4 hours for a boat from the base to come out. And of course having 10 other boats in your group makes for instant and long-lasting friendships.
I can recommend two books for your wife and for that matter you:
First is Changing Course by Debra Cantrell
Second is It's Your Boat Too by Suzanne Giesmann
Both helped my wife and I realize our limitations and fears while preparing for a lifetime sailing together.

Good Winds,
Michael
Hull #15
Old 10-27-2008
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Welcome...

Best thing I ever did with the significant other to get her to share my dream was to encourage her to go and get lessons and then experience on her own without me in the equation....
She now has a love of sailing that is her own, she also has experience to bring to the party and in fact knocks back regular offers to crew, races on competitive yachts weekly all the while having determined that she would like to work towards getting her Yachtmaster.

Prior to all of this it was all I could do to get her to look at boats on a Marina with me.....she just wasn't into it.

Chartering has also been a great experience for her, confidence building while at the same time a good holiday!

Failing all else.........Duct Tape.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller