Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2008

shenry11 is on a distinguished road
Hello from Kansas City

I learned to sail over 30 years ago, as a boy scout at Land Between the Lakes, KY. I have never forgotten that experience. This summer I purchased a small 1974 Chrysler Lone Star 13. I have had it out four times. I have so much to learn.

On the first trip out, my son and I could not get the boat off the trailer. We had the entire trailer under water. We FINALLY figured out that one of the two dagger boards had somewhat come down, and was keeping the boat from floating off the trailer.

On the second trip, I tried to sail myself. SOMEONE has replaced the original tiller with an axe handle. An axe handle is NOT long enough to allow you to reach the tiller and the jib sheets. I thought that I was either going to crash into the rocky lake shore, or tip the boat. That spooked me! I'll be fixing that this winter.

On the third outing, it was way too windy, and I was still spooked from the last trip. My son forgot to put down the dagger boards, and we kept drifting into the pontoon boats in the marina. We finally got it going, but it was so windy that I kept getting spooked. My son was so frustrated with me. I did a stupid thing and promised him that the next outing we would not sail, but just fish with the trolling moter. That fourth outing with the trolling motor was the last good weather that we had. Now it is cold, and I think that I am done for the season.

Next season, I will be more ready. I will do some work on the boat this winter. I can't wait for spring (it will be a LONG wait!)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Welcome to Sailnet.
Old 10-31-2008
O'day 26

joeybkcmo is on a distinguished road
Welcome, I'm also in KC, keep my boat on smithville lake. where have you been sailing your boat at?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-31-2008
Freedom

fisherrowpirate is on a distinguished road
Any one out there ever sail in Scotland?
Old 10-31-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
shenry...welcome aboard & keep having fun!

fisherrowpirate...ditto on the welcome...we have member Rockter here who enjoys dancing on deck in his kilt in the Lochs! My dad was from Port Seton and played for the Hearts a bit if that qualifies!
Old 10-31-2008
*starboard*

merlin2375 will become famous soon enough
It's the uncomfortable moments that make you a better sailor And there will be many

We've talked about checklists here on the boards and there are differing opinions on them but I think that it may not be bad to have some basic one's for getting the boat off the trailor and getting ready to cast off.
Old 10-31-2008

shenry11 is on a distinguished road
Joe in KC, you asked where I sail.

So far, I have just been to Wyandotte County Lake. When I get more comfortable, I'll branch out to Smithville, Clinton, and Perry.

Thanks!

Steve Henry
Old 10-31-2008

greene2108 is on a distinguished road
Welcome. We are recent additions to this site as well. Our first sailboat was a Lockley Seawitch (Snark Sunchaser) that was 12' long. We had a ball playing on the lakes with it and we even learned a few things. We have heard from others that dinghies are a great way to get started in sailing as they give you quick feedback on whatever you do. Enjoy your last fall sails. We were out on Lake Monona today in 70 degree weather! Not much wind, but it was still sailing.
Wrinklesinoursails.Blogspot.Com
Old 10-31-2008
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
Welcome aboard Steve. Get a little practice in and bring your boat out to Perry. PYC has a great centerboard racing series, and the Commodores Cup over labor day weekend is a blast.

Photo Gallery

John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"