SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Greetings from Connecticut (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/48632-greetings-connecticut.html)

BrandyIsland 11-04-2008 05:12 PM

Greetings from Connecticut

I own a Moody 34 and am considering putting a "SolidNav" electrical system in her, given the kind of sailing I do now. I bought the boat in England and sailed her across the Atlantic when she was new ( 1985) and have cruised extensively in the virgin islands and the Bahamas. Now I sail her in eastern Long Island.. short distances... thus the electric drive

PBzeer 11-04-2008 05:14 PM

Welcome aboard and hope the SolidNav works out for you. I'm sure there will be interest in hearing how you like it.

BrandyIsland 11-04-2008 05:28 PM

Do you know anyone who has a SolidNav installed?

PBzeer 11-04-2008 05:30 PM

Sorry, but I don't.

teshannon 11-04-2008 05:39 PM

Welcome to Sailnet.

camaraderie 11-04-2008 05:59 PM

Welcome aboard! Re: the solid nav...Why would you do this? Does the existing diesel need replacing? I would think you will take a major hit on the value of your boat if it is no longer "cruising" and merely capable of short runs under power. If you want to start a new thread on this I think it would be interesting to understand what you have found in your research and why you have made this decision.
As an aside...one of the Lagoon electric 42's stopped by here the other day and they have been out cruising for a year since I last saw them. They indicated they were NOW happy with the perormance but they had a lot of issues over the last couple of years getting things to work right and making lots of changes to the original stock boat. They had nothing but high praise for Lagoon and the Catamaran company who have both stood by them and worked hard to make things right in what they new was kind of a guinea pig situation.

BrandyIsland 11-04-2008 07:51 PM

I have not done it yet, and I have absolutely no intention of selling the boat.. so the value does not bother me. My main goal is to enjoy sailing again. I put in the Perkins 4108 about 12 years ago and it has been nothing but trouble.. never anything major, but always a no-go weekend ruined.. impeller brakes, belts broken, exhaust leaks.. and so on... I have sun burned the soles of my feet trying to repair the damn thing. I just want to sail.....

mgmhead 11-04-2008 10:00 PM

Ahoy Mates!

Michael G Moorehead (mgmhead) here, sailing out of Rock Hall MD on the s/v Rhythm, a 1977 Sabre 34 MkI. She's a fine vessel that has benefited from loving previous owners and now enjoys the same from her current owners. Rhythm is likely the most updated and fit 31-year old boat on the Chesapeake. Cocktails are at 5:00 and it's always 5:00 o-clock somewhere.:D

camaraderie 11-04-2008 10:53 PM

Hey MGM...welcome aboard the SS Nuthouse! :D

SOUNDBOUNDER 12-18-2008 12:38 PM

Welcome!!!!
I am new here also.
I have been browsing the site for years, but I only registered and started posting this week.