Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2008

Lookin4Freedom is on a distinguished road
An introduction to a big idea

Hello all. I've been a lurker, and finally decided to post since I'm considering something only sailors could understand. I'm in my 20's and I want to pursue the cruising life. The prime of my life, and I have the fever for exploration. The water calls to me. It's almost haunting. I'll save my plans for another thread. In the meantime I hope to garner a reality lesson or two :-) - but I'm really looking for a push to break the mold and act on my dream. I hail from Ohio, grown up on the Great Lakes. What a wonderful resource we have. As irony would have it, I lived within a couple miles from Lake Erie until 2+ years ago and never sailed thru childhood. Since moving away from the Lake, my intensity to sail has blossomed, and I am now pursuing it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-02-2008
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Welcome to Sailnet!!! I can relate to your dream as I am also in my (now late ) 20's and am pursuing the cruising dream as well, albeit only part time at the moment as the rat race still has us somewhat in its claws.......

Reality checks you will find on here in the plenty, Sailnet is a great place to test one's dream as you will always get honest( sometimes brutal) feedback. It won't hurt too much I promise, and if you and your dream can survive it, then you'll be a better more informed sailor, and your dream will have a greatly increased chance of being reality.

Hope to see you out there one day man, when I do give me a yell and i'll row over with the first beer.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-07-2008
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Welcome to the asylum

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 12-07-2008
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin4Freedom View Post
Hello all. I've been a lurker, and finally decided to post since I'm considering something only sailors could understand. I'm in my 20's and I want to pursue the cruising life. The prime of my life, and I have the fever for exploration. The water calls to me. It's almost haunting. I'll save my plans for another thread. In the meantime I hope to garner a reality lesson or two :-) - but I'm really looking for a push to break the mold and act on my dream. I hail from Ohio, grown up on the Great Lakes. What a wonderful resource we have. As irony would have it, I lived within a couple miles from Lake Erie until 2+ years ago and never sailed thru childhood. Since moving away from the Lake, my intensity to sail has blossomed, and I am now pursuing it.
Make acommittment. Years ago I wanted to move to Annapolis. Its seemed like a dificult thing to do. So what did I do? I chose a dentist in Annapolis. That way I would go there every 6 months or so and get reminded how beautiful it is there. Eventually I made it there, met my wife there, etc.

One thing that really got things rolling is when I started telling friends that I wanted to move to Annapolis. There's power in letting the world know that that's what you want to do. Friends and others help everything line-up to make it acheivable. Keep posting, keep saying what you want to do. Keep sharing the reasons why. It will become real in your converations and then really real in due time.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-04-2009

Lookin4Freedom is on a distinguished road
I hope sailingdog will allow me to revive my own thread. The dream is beginning to come together. I am a boatowner! After spending last summer crewing, I realized the only way to get more experience is to own a boat. After all, when you crew, your never the skipper, and it's never your ideal location or timeframe. Plus, I want to go cruising, and I need experience doing so. I spent alot of time looking at boats, and sailing on boats - looking at 30+ ft cruisers, to small trailerable daysailors, I arrived at a Hobie 18. It's no Telstar 28, but it's MUCH more affordable :-) Even my little car could pull it. I really like the multihulls, but you can't touch the sheer beauty of classic ketch crusing monohull. My decision ultimately came down to something that is easy to trailer, store and maintain. I think the Hobie will limit my cruising ability, and therefore experience, but it's getting me out on the water. I would recommend everyone take as long as I did to get a boat. I spent 9 months looking - and almost bought 4 or 5 in between. People would look at me crazy, here's a small sampling of what I wanted/tried to buy:

A 45' custom built steel ketch (My dream cruising boat, honestly)
A telstar 28
A Sabre 28
A custom flying scot - modified to have a cabin (called a customflex mallard, small builder from toledo oh)
A compac 16/23
A Sanibel 23
A contessa 26
A couple Cape Dory's
A Crab Claw 21
A Pearson 35 (nice boat!)
An immaculate Ericson 32 (showroom - think luxury yacht)
A thistle
A 64 ft steel schooner project boat (I was the high bidder on this - just missed the reserve on ebay!)

Now, as to why the Hobie 18? Hopefully it will allow me to port hop in the Great Lakes, spend time beach camping, and enjoy the thrill and comfort of a multihull at much LOWER price. It's small, light, and a "daysailor"; not the cruising boat I had hoped. My thought was to either get the big boat right away, or get something extremely easy to own and use that would be cheap. I arrived at the cheap, and it's a good thing! Going from sailing oversized dinghies to a 35' boat is a big (and expensive) leap. This way I can really learn sailing, and not worry about all the systems on the boat. Hopefully this post will inspire others to do the same, and make the same wise decision. Go cheap for the first one! The act of simply leaving the dock and sailing around the harbor is absolutely thrilling! I am going to enjoy this honeymoon period for all it's worth. Someday, it will merely be 'routine" as I cruise.

Last edited by Lookin4Freedom; 08-04-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-04-2009
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
I don't know if it every really could become routine! Not in the way going to work every morning is routine anyways.

Best of luck man.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Old 08-05-2009

roofcoatings is on a distinguished road
I am new to this forum