Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2008
Admirals fav target

NCountry is on a distinguished road
GRUMPY, because we have 4 kids!

Help! Well at least that's the way I should probably start out introducing myself. I've been a member of the sail net community for a couple of years now. My boat is "fiasco" which pretty much describes life with 4 kids. Last christmas I bought the 3 oldest their own 23 foot McGregor. We named if "Havoc". Kind of fits in when you consider the dinghy is called "Chaos".....
Chaos is what you have when you have kids that are 17 months (girl) 9 years (boy) 17 (boy) and 18 (boy)...whew, sometimes you gotta remember to breathe.
I started sailing at about 9 years old on a sunfish. No one around knew anything about sailing so it was a learn as you go deal. After leaving home I spend almost 10 years on the road with various bands. Some of them you may have actually heard of. Upon regaining my senses and getting the fog cleared from my head (which involved divorcing my first wife) I opened a business which I sold 4 years later. During that time I also owned a bar, more brain fog set in.
Once the first business and the bar were sold I spent all my money living in a condo and skiing for a winter. Got home broke and started an insurance agency. That's what I do now. Nope, sold the first agency and took over the family business. It's been in my family since 1950 so I guess I can't sell it when I'm tired of it.
Being the glutton for punishment that I am there was a 22 Catalina that entered my life. Shortly after that the second wife left my life. She did manage to leave behind two boys (the oldest two) and now I have guardianship of them. Have had for 5 years or so.
2 and 1/2 years ago I married wife number 3. Ya gotta go through a lot of wives to find a good one these days. 17 months ago we had a daughter. She fits in nicely with all the testosterone in the house. The wife, not the daughter.
Now we own a 30 foot 1980 Islander Bahama. She's a great ship and 10 months out of the year are spent on her. (I'm developing a severe dislike for dry land).
Now along with the insurance agency I also own a loan company, manager a rural water district and manage a 136 unit mini storage. You could say I'm busy sometimes. You could also say I'm nuts! You would probably be right on all accounts.
Day to Day I spend my time on the computer and count lots of money. I hope someday to actually keep some of it and buy a bigger boat. Because, I'm gonna escape along with the wife and some of the kids and see the rest of the world.
Have a great day!
Old 12-16-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Pretty impressive...

I had my first ever Burger King breakfast today...I am still burping it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Now if you can get some of them kids to sail with you, you have crew for races! I've succeeded with my 3 eldest, 22 and 20, now to get the 16 yr old on board! But I'm afraid she is too much like Ex, says she likes being onthe water/sports in general......yeah right!

Anyway, good luck with dream. At least you did not get 2 for the rpice of one the first time around!

Marty
Old 12-17-2008

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Man, chaos is indeed the word!!!! Thanks for the introduction even though you have been here for a bit. Good to hear about other sailnetter's circumstances.
Tell us more. You say above you spend 10 months aboard the 30fter??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-17-2008
Admirals fav target

The boys are a great crew. They even sailed Havoc in last years Lake Eufaula Sail Boat Bucket Run, which is a regatta I promote. It's two days of sailing and the course is 15 miles. Not around the bouys though. This sucker is from one end of the lake to the other on the first day then we reverse the course for the second day. Best combined and handicapped time wins. Grown men don't finish but the boys did. I'm super proud of them.
I guess I should say that we spend just about every weekend 10 months out of the year aboard. It helps that the 3 boys have their own boat but the wife and I along with the baby stay on fiasco. (Hey, it's got heating and air conditioning so it's really not that rough).
We have some great friends around us that also sail on Lake Eufaula so there is always an anchorage we can find to sit back and relax in.
Last year the 17 year old worked at the Marina. He had a terrible rough time. Living on my boat and working the gas docks during the day. The little fart made around 100 dollars per day in tips. Then would get off work and there were always some girls to take him wake boarding. To top it off when we would get to the lake on Friday he would tell us how awful it was working there. One day, a saturday, I look over and he's surrounded by girls in bikini's. Turns our that all the tips were coming from these little girls filling up their jet ski's. They would take daddys money, use it to fill up then tell Chris to just keep the change. It can't get any more awful than that.
I also need to brag on the 17 year old, that's Chris. Last spring he competed in the NASA High School Nationals Power Lifting Tournament. Not only did he take 1st place but he also set a world record in the squats. He weighed in at 112 pounds and he lifted 253 pounds for the world record! If you knew Chris you would recognize what a miracle that was! In fact, because of the "blending" of our family, we have a house full of miracles. I'm very blessed! My oldest one is even dating a swedish foreign exchange student. She's his first real girlfriend and EVERYONE is way jealous over Robert. Like I said, we're super blessed at my house.......
Old 12-17-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Welcome to Sailnet!

Now.. I'm one of the few people here who know where Lake Eufaula is. So.. I have some advice for you....

The youth sailing program put on by Windycrest sailing club on Lake Keystone is EXCELLENT. Windycrest is located about 45 minutes NE of Tulsa, but they really care about the kids, the instructors are great, and it's real cheap.

Worth the drive. You should check them out.

Link here ->Home

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 12-17-2008
Admirals fav target

Yeah, I know where Lake Keystone is. I lived in Tulsa for 20 years before moving back home to take over the family business. I've also heard great things about the youth sailing program. One thing about sailing is Oklahoma, like the song says, the wind comes down the plains. We get days on the lake where the wind is 30 to 40 mph. They get even stronger winds on Lake Hefner in Oklahoma City.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.