Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2008

DaleDoll is on a distinguished road
New (Catalina 27) Kid on the Block

Hey there!

I just joined SailNet after lurking around for a couple of months while we were looking for our boat. I found, printed out, toted around, and generally lived with SailingDog's post of evaluating potential boats - a million thanks for that one!

My husband and I bought our first sailboat, a 1977 Catalina 27, three weeks ago. She's tired, but in sailable shape, which was what we wanted. We're starting to weekend aboard her and are enjoying the treasure trove of tinkering opportunities an older sailboat provides. We're both novice sailors, just have a basic keelboat cert under our belts and some past sailing experience. She'll be teaching us lots!

All the best,
Debbi
s/v Gypsea
1977 Catalina 27
Lake Travis, TX
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-26-2008

Mark1948 is on a distinguished road
Catalina 27

Welcome,
I bought a c-27 tall rig last year and had the privelege to enjoy sailing at least twice a week from June to November. Enjoy your boat and use her often. Always finding things to repair and ways to do it with out totally new equipment replacement. Located in Milwaukee and faced with lots of snow and cold weather. Enjoy!

Mark1948
Old 12-28-2008
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
Congrats and welcome to Sailnet. I'm kinda in the position you were about 4 weeks ago I'm looking for my first boat. I've been looking mostly at Catalinas and O'days in the 22' - 27' range.

Again, congrats and enjoy your new boat

P.S. Once you hit 10 posts, PLEASE come back to this thread and post some pics. People around here LOVE pics.

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Meet me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--
Old 01-11-2009

DaleDoll is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the responses! We took off the end of the year and spent the time aboard Gypsea and are just now digging ourselves out of the work backlog that engendered. She's looking better and "feeling" better already. As soon as I hit 10, I'll post pics. The biggest obvious change we made was getting the darn automotive tinting film off the windows. It wasn't a pretty job, but we got it off, bubbles and all. It helps that she has her original tempered glass portlights. I wouldn't have tried what we did (chemicals followed by razor blade scraping) with acrylic.

Chris, I know I'm a real newbie, but here's why we went for the 27' as opposed to smaller. We had been sailing a Precision 23, which is a beautiful boat - very well thought out and amazingly roomy for its size, I think. Since we planned to live aboard and hopefully coastal cruise, the ability to stand upright in the cabin was a positive. We spent a chunk of our time aboard lately in the cabin because it was cold outside (okay, cold by South Texas standards) and we didn't feel "cabin fever" at all. I'm sure we would have after a week of constant lousy weather and nowhere else to go, but I'd probably feel that way on a 40 footer! Actually, we visited new friends New Years Eve on their 40 footer and found her darker and feeling more cramped than the Catalina 27 even though our girl has far less room.

As I am mildly claustrophobic and need a certain amount of alone time, this is a big deal to me. Friends advised us not to go smaller than 30 feet, but the 27 felt just right to us, especially for a first boat.

Anyway, that's my 2-cents.
Debbi
s/v Gypsea
1977 Catalina 27
Lake Travis TX
Old 01-12-2009
to smart for mensa

findthejake is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to findthejake
I've been seriously looking into a cat27 for my first boat as well. I am really looking forward to pictures! Can I ask how much you got it for and what year?