Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2008
Sailing to surf

Beersmith is on a distinguished road
Hello! New poster & my sailing blog.

In short, I am a surfer who has lived inland my whole life, and I have major wanderlust. The dream is to sail the world, surf waves in exotic and isolated locations, experience other cultures, and achieve something huge for myself.

I am starting to get closer and closer to my sailing dream so I figure it would be time to start posting here instead of lurking. Like so many before me, I am seeking the voyaging dream with my limited means and knowledge. I'll be asking questions from you guys to help me through the process. I currently live in Orlando, Fl and do my sailing out of St. Augustine where my parents live.

If you are interested, I am chronicling my journey towards boat ownership and voyaging in my sailing blog. I cannot post links just yet, so you will need to copy/paste this in a browser:

Erick's Wanderlust Blog

Feel free to add and follow me on blogspot. My background and what I hope to accomplish is pretty much laid out in there already, and I am posting more and more frequently. I would love to have some experienced sailors shadow the blog and comment where they see fit. I'm sure many of the posts will make their way here in the form of questions.

Last edited by Beersmith; 01-06-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2008

oceansoul63 is on a distinguished road
Welcome, Beersmith!

I will check out your blog. I'm just getting started on a similar dream, as many have before us and many will after.

St. Augustine is a great place to start from. I moved here with the specific intention of finding a boat to travel the world in, and it didn't take me long to find one -- a Bristol 34 sloop that I'm going to spend the next year or so fixing up and outfitting.

Best of luck to you in your endeavors!
Old 12-31-2008

N0NJY is on a distinguished road
You make Beer, Beersmith? Me too

Welcome aboard.

My wife and I are starting..... give us a couple years. We'll see you "out there...wandering the world"

moˈloːn laˈbe!

It's better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for who you're not.

Let those winds of change blow over my head,
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead - Jimmy Buffet
Old 12-31-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Welcome to Sailnet, Beersmith!

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 12-31-2008
Sailing to surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0NJY View Post
You make Beer, Beersmith? Me too

Welcome aboard.

My wife and I are starting..... give us a couple years. We'll see you "out there...wandering the world"
Yessir homebrewer here, well met! Just one of the other hobbies that keeps me busy until I can sail
Old 01-01-2009
Montgomery 17

Perithead is on a distinguished road
Beersmith,

I checked out your blog, pretty nice. Looks like your pretty serious about getting out there, I am trying to do something pretty similar myself.

Looks like you and your freinds enjoyed that first storm, I remember mine. It wasn't raining or lightening but the wind was pretty feirce and I had full sails up. It started to blow 30-35 knots I was told by my fellow sailor who was out at the time on his boat. My girlfriend didn't enjoy it too much but I really got a kick out of it, even though I tore a 3' rip in my jib. I should have reefed but the wind nearly died just before the heavy winds hit.

Anyways, I like your blog and you have some pretty nice info on it. Looks like you have learned alot so far.

Good luck with getting out there!

Oh yeah, I couldn't tell if you have a boat yet. In some instances it seems like you may refer that you do but in others it doesn't. Just curious.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailing Videos, Woodworking Videos and More!
Old 01-02-2009
Sailing to surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perithead View Post
Beersmith,

I checked out your blog, pretty nice. Looks like your pretty serious about getting out there, I am trying to do something pretty similar myself.

Looks like you and your freinds enjoyed that first storm, I remember mine. It wasn't raining or lightening but the wind was pretty feirce and I had full sails up. It started to blow 30-35 knots I was told by my fellow sailor who was out at the time on his boat. My girlfriend didn't enjoy it too much but I really got a kick out of it, even though I tore a 3' rip in my jib. I should have reefed but the wind nearly died just before the heavy winds hit.

Anyways, I like your blog and you have some pretty nice info on it. Looks like you have learned alot so far.

Good luck with getting out there!

Oh yeah, I couldn't tell if you have a boat yet. In some instances it seems like you may refer that you do but in others it doesn't. Just curious.
Ahhh yes the storm was a great but unnerving experience. The most scary part about it was the lightning. If those bolts weren't coming down so frequently and so close it wouldn't have been nearly as bad.

And no, I don't have a boat yet unfortunitely. I am in that process right now just figuring out my options. Hopefully will have one in a year or two!
Old 01-02-2009

N0NJY is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beersmith View Post
Yessir homebrewer here, well met! Just one of the other hobbies that keeps me busy until I can sail
We make home brewed beer, and mead.

Wife and I are new to sailing.

moˈloːn laˈbe!

It's better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for who you're not.

Let those winds of change blow over my head,
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead - Jimmy Buffet