Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2009
I just want to hug you

Blether is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Blether
New member in Japan

Hi :-)

The protocol here seems to be, one thread each, so I'm following that pattern.

I guess some day in the future we'll be able to search each other by user name - without having to go outside to google.com. Administrators, have you thought about at least including an applet / a button to 'search sailnet using google' somewhere on the top page ? You wouldn't exactly be the first. But heck, I still think Sailnet is great !

I learned to sail - on Enterprises - on Loch Earn. Thank-you, Keith, Alan, Shona and others. I got some coastal cruising / racing experience off Scotland's Western and Northern coasts - I don't suppose I need to explain the beauty of a 2am dawn to those of you above about Lat 50. On Loch Earn I also had the privilege of playing in good winds on a Laser.

I was very lucky to spend a season sailing at Datchet Water with a talented owner/helmsman - a Canadian (Hi, Jim !) - in the vintage Flying Fifteen fleet. We took the season trophy (yeah, yeah, we earned it, OK ?). Jim taught me the importance of spinnaker trim, in real terms. At Datchet I also had some fun crewing on a Dart 16.

It was a while before I got into sailing again. In Japan in 1996 I started sailing our company's dinghy (a Hayama 16 - something like a 470, not as big as a 505 but with a trapeze) - for fun.

One thing led to another and I was lucky enough to be invited to crew on some of the yachts at the same club. In 2000, I joined Enoshima's team for the Phuket King's Cup and have taken part every year since then (writing in January 2009).

In between times, I sail when I can in the waters of Eastern Japan. Japan' s sailors are friendly and generous - jeez, like sailors everywhere.

My longest voyage in the last few years was a single leg from Yakushima to Abaratsubo (Yokohama), that we improvised one and-a -half-days-out, after a gearbox failure at the entrance to the Seto Inland Sea.

I'll (we will) be happy any time, to hear from anyone who knows or remembers the Farr-designed yacht 'Second Glance', built from Kauri wood in NZ and sailed around the world either side of the Gulf War, by the current Japanese owner, who now at age 74 has my undivided respect as a sailor and a skipper.

I haven't said that I'm Scottish, born and bred. I guess you can see that I have free time this New Year. May 2009 be good for you :-)
Attached Thumbnails
New member in Japan-dscf0026.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-01-2009

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Welcome aboard Blether,

You will find Sailnet a fun and educational site with a lot of friendly people.
Check out Sailingdog's signature line for a link on how to get the most out of Sailnet. Or follow the link in my signature line to get to his. It's lengthily (do to a joke for Sailingdog) but it will get you there.
Good luck and fare winds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 01-01-2009
I just want to hug you

Denby,

Thank-you very much. I confess to having been a lurker for longer than I can say. It was the fascination that made me do it :-)

In my defence (and being too ignorant to recognise your own wheels), I have a 2001 Nissan Skyline 300GT that I keep out of water deeper than about 6". (I hear shouts of 'starboard' going past in the wind sometimes. No, not really :-) )
Old 01-01-2009

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
If you are referring to my avatar it isn't my car, it is a joke of Giu's boat.(my Portuguese buddy) Note the mast and boom and the keel. That is Giu at the wheel.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 01-01-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Welcome,

Neat looking boat. Farr designs do fascinate me to a degree, only because I know they are one of the faster boats on the market for there size, in the given time frame they were designed.

If you have been lurking awhile, for some strange and no particular reason, we all are ignoring Denby. Not sure why, do not wish to remember why, as that would cause me to think and pull my one and only brain muscle........

So with that welcome aboard! from somewhere in the background is a scotch decendent from there. A McKinnely along with an irish Curren couple!

marty
Old 01-01-2009
I just want to hug you

Thanks, Marty :-)

Ignorance is bliss, as they say, so I'm always happy. But look out for those Irish, eh ?

Last edited by Blether; 01-01-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-01-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Yess indeedee! need to watch out for them Irish! Along with the Welsh in me a bit too! probably a 1/4 as paternal Gma was born there!:R:R:R:R The others are some 5 generations back in the 1840's when that couple came here!

Supposedly my last name is a Scotch spelling vs the german. Oh well, back to cleaning the office and doing book work, as the snow is almost gone, and I might be able to get back to work again!:B:B:B and can continue to ignore this place in the day time!

marty
Old 01-02-2009
I just want to hug you

Quote:
Originally Posted by denby View Post
If you are referring to my avatar...
Yes, I was. Now that you've explained I see there's even small print there to point out the same thing.

I saw one of Giu's videos. It looks like he really has the 'snap tack' together. I need to watch more.