Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2009

CaptainZac is on a distinguished road
New To Sailing

Ahoy Sailors, My name is Zac and I am a college student in Clemson, S.C. I was wanting to buy a boat to sail on the weekends through the Summer. I would mostly be sailing around in a lake (Lake Jocassee). Now I have been on a bass boat once or twice, but that's about it. I somewhat understand the mechanics of a sailboat... you have your hull, your sails, your rudder, your keel, etc. Other than that I am completely clueless. I plan on reading more books if I decide to buy a boat. So with that in mind would I be crazy to by a sailboat? (Not having any experience and no one to teach me).

The boat that I am looking at is a late 70s model Hunter 25 for $4000. I could come up with $4000 but I wouldn't want to pour money into it for maintenance. Would I be buying a timebomb? All that really matters to me is that it floats but I'm sure there could be hidden cost that I'm not seeing.

I'm a quick learner and really "tough." In other words, I'm not afraid of a challenge and my first sailing expeditions don't have to be as easygoing and luxurious as a walk in the park. Wise advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-01-2009
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
Welcome to Sailnet.

You're not crazy. One thing I would do though is learn as much as you can. Also before buying a boat make sure you have the knowledge you need. Don't rush into it. There is only so much you can on your own as an inexperienced buyer. With that in mind you really need to look into getting a survey done on any boat you buy so that you're reasonably sure you aren't getting a lemon.

Others here can provide a lot better information than I can. There is a wealth of knowledge here so you came to the right place.

As for the boat you're looking at, lemme guess. It's on Lake Hartwell right?

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZac View Post
Ahoy Sailors, My name is Zac and I am a college student in Clemson, S.C. I was wanting to buy a boat to sail on the weekends through the Summer. I would mostly be sailing around in a lake (Lake Jocassee). Now I have been on a bass boat once or twice, but that's about it. I somewhat understand the mechanics of a sailboat... you have your hull, your sails, your rudder, your keel, etc. Other than that I am completely clueless. I plan on reading more books if I decide to buy a boat. So with that in mind would I be crazy to by a sailboat? (Not having any experience and no one to teach me).

The boat that I am looking at is a late 70s model Hunter 25 for $4000. I could come up with $4000 but I wouldn't want to pour money into it for maintenance. Would I be buying a timebomb? All that really matters to me is that it floats but I'm sure there could be hidden cost that I'm not seeing.

I'm a quick learner and really "tough." In other words, I'm not afraid of a challenge and my first sailing expeditions don't have to be as easygoing and luxurious as a walk in the park. Wise advice is greatly appreciated.

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Meet me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--
Old 01-01-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
You can learn it yourself on a lake like that and 4k is a decent asking price for that boat. You could spend a LOT more on stuff you don't know about like bad sails, leaky hull, bad standing rigging, outboard on life support etc. ...so it is a good idea, even on a cheap boat to get a surveyor...probably would run 4-500 bucks.
If you get her...get a copy of Sailing for Dummies and go have fun. It ain't that hard to sail...sailing WELL takes years...but you can have a blast from the start!
Old 01-01-2009
Anything-Sailing Founder

Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
Agreed. Here's a good place to start too. It's not a substitute for a survey but it could help you get an idea if you SHOULD get a survey and push forward or simply move on to the next one.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/387204-post.html

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

--
Old 01-01-2009

CaptainZac is on a distinguished road
Hahaha Yea it's on Hartwell, I found it on Craigslist. I read the linked post by ckgreenman and there is a wealth of information there. So I'm getting the impression that it's generally "ok" to buy an older boat as long as its in good shape. Or should I wait till I win the loto? Thanks for the info mates.
Old 01-01-2009
Anything-Sailing Founder

lol I've seen that CL ad (I'm actually interested too but don't have the money yet).

Yes it's ok to buy an older boat if it's in good condition or you are able/willing to work on it to make it a good boat. The advice about a survey is very important though. They know what to look for and can advise whether the problems are minor (and fixable) or major and deal breakers.

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

--