Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2009
Bender of Nails

Deadeye is on a distinguished road
New guy

Hey all,

I'm a carpenter in western Canada who's been building boats professionally for about 10 years. The market here is mainly powerboats but my own passion is for sailing.

A long time time ago, I got the sailing bug after reading some of the Pardeys' and the Smeetons' books. Right from day one in a crusty old Sunfish that I rescued from rotting to death in a backyard, I worked the bagged-out sail pretty hard with the knowledge it would lead to an eventual lifestyle.

My wife and I are now at an enviable stage of our lives...we are looking to liveaboard and cruise while still young enough to enjoy it. Everything seems to be falling into place vis-a-vis work, home life, family, etc. so it's time to start cutting some wood.

I see myself haunting the boards looking for suggestions and advice from those who have 'been there, done that' as well as to probe the imaginations of those of you who have thought about cruising but haven't taken the plunge.

My own sailing experience comes from sailing that old Sunfish that I wish I still had, through small keelboats right up to 41' bleach bottles. While definitely no expert, I know enough to know when it's time to ease the main and let 'er settle down, lol. My focus has never been competitive sailing, though I do see the advantage to one's learning curve - I'm more of a Jimmy Buffet really...

There's a bunch of stuff I'm looking to kick around, but I'll save it for other threads. If any of my own experience can be of help, it's yours.

Cheers!

Last edited by Deadeye; 01-08-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Welcome aboard Deadeye!
Old 01-08-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Glad to have you.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 01-08-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Welcome, Deadeye!

If you're considering building your own boat for this next stage (and of course you are!) I've heard good things about the Dudley Dix designs, both in terms of performance and ease of build.. many have put on miles of offshore sailing too.

Where on the West Coast are you?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-08-2009

donhaller is on a distinguished road
Welcome from another New Guy.
Old 01-08-2009
Bender of Nails

Deadeye is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the warm welcome !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
...Dudley Dix designs...

Where on the West Coast are you?
Actually, one of the designs I'm considering is the Dix Coquette...Another is Glen-L's Lord Nelson (just ordered the study plans) and I'm looking at their Caprice as well: center cockpit sloop that actually has a 24" wide interior passageway to the aft cabin...in a 36' boat no less. I prefer a more traditional look though, so the compromise might be to build it with a trunk cabin.

I moved to the Sunshine Coast a few years ago from the Lower Mainland after building and refitting boats in Steveston - it has definitely given me back my sanity (...as much as I ever had anyway...lol) after commuting from West Van to Steveston the last 5 years I was there.

I've done some paddling since I've been here but no sailing. I want to find a daysailer design that I can produce using local lumber (probably Doug fir frames and red cedar planking). The plan there is to secure production rights and produce a stable little sailboat around 14' or so that anyone can afford to buy. I think it's really important to get kids involved in sailing for the character and self confidence that can come out of it - the whole 'broadening horizons' thing. If they can buy a partially completed kit with the proceeds from their part time job, so much the better.

I'm also trying to get some furniture samples done because I want to start up a small shop using 'blue' (beetle-kill) pine. It has a really distinctive character and it's considered waste by the industry. Finished bright with something like a clear PU, it really 'pops'. We really need to find a value-added market for the stuff since the bug has been so tough on the industry in BC.

Unfortunately, that stuff doesn't leave much time for my own plans (the liveaboard) so I've reorganized life a little and gone back to working for a paycheck so I can get started. Once that's done, our expenses will be reduced enough that we can focus on the other stuff without the startup costs having to combine with an inflated cost of living. At least that's the plan...

I've got a bunch of boat ideas and solutions I want to kick around with you folks but I'm not done searching the archives to see if any of it's been covered recently. I'll start a thread soon...
Old 01-08-2009
Alex, not full of crap

werebeagle will become famous soon enough werebeagle will become famous soon enough
Welcome aboard Deadeye

Courtney's my Dancing Angel

Where am I, and where's my paddle?
It's not impossible, it just costs more.
Give me ambiguity, or give me something else.
Old 01-09-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome !
I've got a bunch of boat ideas and solutions I want to kick around with you folks but I'm not done searching the archives to see if any of it's been covered recently. I'll start a thread soon...
It all sounds good, Deadeye... keep us posted!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)