SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Hello Everyone (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/50328-hello-everyone.html)

seafaringal 01-08-2009 02:25 PM

Hello Everyone

Last April I purchased my first boat on a whim, not realizing that I was entering into a deep love and long relationship with water and wind. It was the beginning of great new adventure. My then Captain and I had dreams of restoring the 25 y/o beauty, Seafarer 26 (McCurdy & Rhodes) and sailing off into the sunset. Well the Captain has sailed off on his own and I, the proud owner of Solistre (a play on words, sun and sea salt), am currently nearing completion of my 101 and 103. In the few short months of ownership, I have learned much and done much. The wood trim was refinished by moi and I have brought her down from Ct. to the Chesapeake Bay were she is currently on the hard, sleeping in the snow till my return.

My goals are to successfully complete 101-105 before March. I am on a work contract in California and my lessons are in the waters by the Channel Islands. I hope to return to Maryland in early March.

I hope to find a liveaboard community somewhere along the western shores of the Chesapeake near the Pasadena-Annapolis area. I'm open to any input on anything from you more seasoned sailors.

Seafaringal

sailortjk1 01-08-2009 02:43 PM

Sounds like a sound plan.
Other than the fact that the Captain jumped ship, you are well on your way to becoming........ "Hooked". (another bad attempt at a play on words)
Best of luck to you and in all of your adventures.
I am sure others will chime in from your local cruising grounds, there are plenty of them around here, but I am not one of them.
Welcome aboard.

seafaringal 01-08-2009 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailortjk1 (Post 428998)
Sounds like a sound plan.
Other than the fact that the Captain jumped ship, you are well on your way to becoming........ "Hooked". (another bad attempt at a play on words)
Best of luck to you and in all of your adventures.
I am sure others will chime in from your local cruising grounds, there are plenty of them around here, but I am not one of them.
Welcome aboard.

Thank you sailorjk1.
I am already hooked, going on several day sails over the next few days, buying books, asking questions... I'm a late bloomer but a quick learner.
I'm my own Captain now:D

ckgreenman 01-08-2009 04:58 PM

Welcome to Sailnet. Glad to have you aboard.

Cruisingdad 01-08-2009 05:00 PM

Welcome aboard! Glad to have you here.

- CD

sailaway21 01-08-2009 05:06 PM

Welcome to sailnet. I trust that it will be an informative resource for you. Other than the personal strife involved in the loss of your Port Captain, (all shipping companies have them.) you'll find that you're best Captain of your own vessel. It's much easier to find and train a Mate than it is to take on a Captain. It certainly sounds like you're on the right path to that end.

Look up SailChick in these pages; she's similarly fixated and is currently investigating banging hulls in racing out in the Chicago area. We're all scared of her because she yells a lot. :p :) ;)

craigtoo 01-08-2009 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seafaringal (Post 428994)
Last April I purchased my first boat on a whim, not realizing that I was entering into a deep love and long relationship with water and wind. It was the beginning of great new adventure. My then Captain and I had dreams of restoring the 25 y/o beauty, Seafarer 26 (McCurdy & Rhodes) and sailing off into the sunset. Well the Captain has sailed off on his own and I, the proud owner of Solistre (a play on words, sun and sea salt), am currently nearing completion of my 101 and 103. In the few short months of ownership, I have learned much and done much. The wood trim was refinished by moi and I have brought her down from Ct. to the Chesapeake Bay were she is currently on the hard, sleeping in the snow till my return.

My goals are to successfully complete 101-105 before March. I am on a work contract in California and my lessons are in the waters by the Channel Islands. I hope to return to Maryland in early March.

I hope to find a liveaboard community somewhere along the western shores of the Chesapeake near the Pasadena-Annapolis area. I'm open to any input on anything from you more seasoned sailors.

Seafaringal

Hi Sea,

Welcome to Sailnet! I keep my boat about 10 minutes (by car) from Annapolis on the Magothy River. Just outside of Pasadena in Severna Park.

Magothy Marina

It's a great Marina with good Live-aboard amenities. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me. (I don't live aboard there but many do.)

Additionally, I'm a member of a really great and fun club in the area.

Welcome to YCCSC's Web Site

Glad to have you.

All the very best,
Craig

seafaringal 01-08-2009 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckgreenman (Post 429096)
Welcome to Sailnet. Glad to have you aboard.

Thanks, great to be finally here.

seafaringal 01-08-2009 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruisingdad (Post 429099)
Welcome aboard! Glad to have you here.

- CD

Thank you kindly. When I get a chance I'll post some piccies.

werebeagle 01-08-2009 09:32 PM

Welcome to the asylum Sea.