Brooklyn wannabe - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-28-2009 Thread Starter

Brooklyn wannabe

Last October I spent three days in a basic keelboat sailing class, sailing on the Hudson river with Manhattan to starboard and the Statue of Liberty aft. I've read several books and magazines on sailing. I've spent hours looking at used boats on dozens of listing, and it's only the end of January. I've been well and truly smitten. I can retire in a couple years and by that time I hope to have honed my skills enough to explore broader horizons. My plan is to take basic coastal cruising and navagational classes in the spring and perhaps find a yatch club, a mooring or slip and a used boat to spend as much of this season as possible under sail.
I would love to hear from Brooklyn newbe's and salts for advise.

David Owens
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-28-2009

Hey David, welcome!
I followed a similar track like you're on 3 years ago. Having a boat is the best way to learn, that's for sure. I took Coastal Cruising this summer, and, frankly, didn't learn more than I already knew, except gained the confidence to handle a 36' Beneteau, as opposed to my 25 footer with an outboard on the transom!
I'm in Long Beach, but keep the boat on the North Shore, in Manhasset Bay. More places to sail to on the Sound. From Brooklyn, you've got NY Harbor, the shallows of Jamaica Bay, and the Kills over y Staten Island. Sounds like good sailing ground to me. And hanging out on Sailnet is part of the fun!

Mike
post #3 of 6 Old 01-28-2009
moderate?

One word David: Faggedaboutit!!

Welcome aboard.

No longer posting. Reach me by PM!
post #4 of 6 Old 01-28-2009

David -
Though I now sail out of East Hampton, I first learned to sail on my cousin's boats out of Sheepshead Bay. In those long ago days Miramar Yacht Club was very active in sailing. A quick web search shows they are still offering sailing classes for nonmembers. You might want to look into it.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-06-2009 Thread Starter

Just wanted to say that I just finished basic coastal and signed up for bare boat, kicked the tires on a couple boats, fell in love once but couldn't afford her and it's only July. What a great way to grow old. And I love reading the forums.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-06-2009
Reward for lost Kraken!

David, if you want to sail after work, keep something on the NJ side and take the PATH over to it after work.

If you want to base out of Brooklyn, stop by gateway marina, just west of the Floyd Bennett Field. Takes a bit of time getting in and out, but the rates are reasonable. Or, look at the clubs in Sheepshead Bay, which keep a lot of boats on moorings. A bit more expensive, but a different scene and a shorter trip out to sea.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.