Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2009

abcnuzeman is on a distinguished road
Brooklyn wannabe

Last October I spent three days in a basic keelboat sailing class, sailing on the Hudson river with Manhattan to starboard and the Statue of Liberty aft. I've read several books and magazines on sailing. I've spent hours looking at used boats on dozens of listing, and it's only the end of January. I've been well and truly smitten. I can retire in a couple years and by that time I hope to have honed my skills enough to explore broader horizons. My plan is to take basic coastal cruising and navagational classes in the spring and perhaps find a yatch club, a mooring or slip and a used boat to spend as much of this season as possible under sail.
I would love to hear from Brooklyn newbe's and salts for advise.

David Owens
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2009

mazzy is on a distinguished road
Hey David, welcome!
I followed a similar track like you're on 3 years ago. Having a boat is the best way to learn, that's for sure. I took Coastal Cruising this summer, and, frankly, didn't learn more than I already knew, except gained the confidence to handle a 36' Beneteau, as opposed to my 25 footer with an outboard on the transom!
I'm in Long Beach, but keep the boat on the North Shore, in Manhasset Bay. More places to sail to on the Sound. From Brooklyn, you've got NY Harbor, the shallows of Jamaica Bay, and the Kills over y Staten Island. Sounds like good sailing ground to me. And hanging out on Sailnet is part of the fun!

Mike
Old 01-28-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
One word David: Faggedaboutit!!

Welcome aboard.
Old 01-28-2009

tweitz is on a distinguished road
David -
Though I now sail out of East Hampton, I first learned to sail on my cousin's boats out of Sheepshead Bay. In those long ago days Miramar Yacht Club was very active in sailing. A quick web search shows they are still offering sailing classes for nonmembers. You might want to look into it.
Old 07-06-2009

abcnuzeman is on a distinguished road
Just wanted to say that I just finished basic coastal and signed up for bare boat, kicked the tires on a couple boats, fell in love once but couldn't afford her and it's only July. What a great way to grow old. And I love reading the forums.
Old 07-06-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
David, if you want to sail after work, keep something on the NJ side and take the PATH over to it after work.

If you want to base out of Brooklyn, stop by gateway marina, just west of the Floyd Bennett Field. Takes a bit of time getting in and out, but the rates are reasonable. Or, look at the clubs in Sheepshead Bay, which keep a lot of boats on moorings. A bit more expensive, but a different scene and a shorter trip out to sea.