Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2009
salty dog

captdave57 is on a distinguished road
Post Newbie saien HI too ya!

Gooday all yahs out there:
I be [Capt. Dave 57]. I be a young man of just 57 summers. I been on the flow since I twas about 12, water skiing and comercial fishing back in the day.
I got into sailing on my first trip to the South Pacific, back in 95 it was.
I had gone through a nasty divorce and needed some time and space to clear me mind.. So'I sold all my worldly possesions and bought a p-ticket to the Islands, like me friend, Leon sais, you got to get back to the Islands, anyways I gets me self to Tahiti Island, long about July, the rainny season. I camps out abit for a fortnight, and decides it;s time to move on. I gos down to the boat basson, I looks about abit and amonsk all the latchies that be travelen along there and at this time of year theres a lot to pix from and I finds a captain of a 85' ketch that is sitten pretty of the dockens, he's got a paper sign on a stick that reads {KREW NEEDED} and he tells me that he's, thats, the boat is being delivered to New zland. We talks abit and he agrees to teach me to sail, and I agrees to be a mate for a while. Als good. Soes, I sails with him through storms and waves for four months and I's get a lesson on the ins an outs of the sailing life. I LOVES it. We, a crew of 5 sails to a bunch of Islands like, Moorea, Huahine, Bora Bora and Rangiroa, Aukataki, then on through the Cook Islands, and the upper, middle and lower groups of Tonga and on. After we've portted at 28 Islands or so, later I bids him adue in Fiji. I makes me way back to the lower 48 after a week in Hawiie. Then after a couple years with out a boat, I gets me fair sailing boat. Shes only 31.6 Hunter, [Faithful Girl] that I's be finden her in Seattle, and I an me winch sets sail for home port Of Portland, Oregon, only about 318 nm out and down the coast and 110 nm up the Columbia River. Now the trip had some nervious times for me Lady, causes she'adent been on the ocean, sept on a comercial fishing day out, cha know what's that like. We had fair winds to starboard and kind seas to aft.We made the trip in three days. Now we be sailin in the Columbia and haven many good trips, some day to make it back to the Islands of the big blue,. I be doen al the sailen, and she be doen the drink fixen and the most of the cookin, I do the BBQen. Well that's just abit
about this sailor. Just thought ya auta know.

Well fair winds to yah.
Saltydog byee ':-}3

howcha like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Dave my man, you are a breath of fresh air. Welcome me hardee!

I'm actually reading a book about Cook. That guys had some serious stones! Sounds like you followed in his wake. Hope you get back down there soon! Of course, in the mean time you could pop on up to the Northwest Passage like he did in his third run!
Old 01-28-2009
salty dog

captdave57 is on a distinguished road
Smackdaddy howdy:
Thanks for the read, I am in Portland now and we be salen width the Oregon Hunter saling club,.
I hadn't read any of the great Cook's travel logs b-4 I made me trip to da soudth but I 've sence read a bunch about his travels., Comes to mind that ya got to be carful who invites ya to dinner. But ya be feelin free bout joining me for some grog ifen ya blow by me way. ya can ring me if ya are in da area. I be railen up to Sea-town to da boat show, next weekend.

Saltydog
Old 01-28-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by captdave57 View Post
Comes to mind that ya got to be carful who invites ya to dinner.
That's why they call 'em cookbooks.

From my time in the Solomon Islands, I found out - from those that actually had - that the best part of the human body is the tricep. I, of course, took them at their word.
Old 01-29-2009
Picnic Sailor

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by captdave57 View Post
Smackdaddy howdy:

I hadn't read any of the great Cook's travel logs b-4 I made me trip to da soudth but I 've sence read a bunch about his travels., Comes to mind that ya got to be carful who invites ya to dinner.

Saltydog
Funny, damn funny.
oh and Smack if you don't mind i'm going to steal your cookbook line, that wasn't bad either....coming from a country discovered by the man, and scattered with statues of him it's gonna come in real handy

Welcome Captdave, I like you already.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-29-2009

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Cool...now, can you say all that, but in English???
Old 01-29-2009
Picnic Sailor

Giu, im sorry, excuse my above comments regarding Cook 'discovering' oz

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-29-2009

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
Giu, im sorry, excuse my above comments regarding Cook 'discovering' oz

actually, that didn't occur to me..

The qustion about the English was to the guy in the original post, that speaks weird...

is he a foreigner??
Old 01-29-2009
Picnic Sailor

It was an attempt at a sailor/pirate accent. Think the sea captain from the Simpsons.

Old 01-29-2009
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
Funny, damn funny.
oh and Smack if you don't mind i'm going to steal your cookbook line, that wasn't bad either....coming from a country discovered by the man, and scattered with statues of him it's gonna come in real handy

Welcome Captdave, I like you already.
At least you guys didn't eat him. We did! (we'll at least our 53rd state of Hawaii)

BTW - Chall, you may enjoy this book I'm reading about Cook:

Blue Latitudes by T. Horwitz

It was a NYT Bestseller and really is a very good book. Man, that Cook had some serious STONES!!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.