Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2009

SailingAlaska is on a distinguished road
Sam in Anchorage, Alaska

Hi All,

I'm hoping to get some feedback or some points in the right direction. I started sailing up here a couple of years ago and have made it through Bareboat certification and am now in shopping mode. I've been in this mode since I started sailing. I'm sure you all can relate to this!

I'm a single father of three boys and I am looking for characteristics in a sailboat that is set up more for single handed sailing. My boys are young, 11, 9 and 7 so they aren't going to be much help just yet, i.e. trimming the sails, setting anchor. They could probably hold the wheel steady for a couple of minutes though if need be while I did the above.

First what should I be looking for in this type of boat other than all lines led aft to the cockpit? Are there any boats (models/manufacturers) that are better suited for single handed sailing than others? I saw something on the Shannon website touting their boats as being particularly suited for single handed sailing.

Currently doing mainly coastal sailing here in Prince William Sound and Kenai Fjords...deep, cold water sailing and anchoring but will want to eventually go bluewater and explore Kodiak, the Alaska Peninsula and the Aleutians.

Budget is around 80,000 to 100,000.

Thanks!

Sam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2009
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Have you checked on the availability of slip space yet? Last I knew there was a waiting list in both Seward and Whittier.

Welcome aboard and best of luck with your search.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-28-2009
Alex, not full of crap

werebeagle will become famous soon enough werebeagle will become famous soon enough
Sam

Welcome aboard

Courtney's my Dancing Angel

Where am I, and where's my paddle?
It's not impossible, it just costs more.
Give me ambiguity, or give me something else.
Old 02-01-2009

sassafrass is on a distinguished road
hey sam, i am hoping to cruise up to your waters this spring/summer. used to guide on Denali many years ago. i would not agree that all lines lead aft is necessarily what you want, though it is the current trend. what matters is correctly thought out systems and how they interrelate.

happy hunting...
tom
Old 02-01-2009

SailingAlaska is on a distinguished road
Thanks Tom.

I've heard that as well. Was are the characteristics of a well-designed system in your mind? My thoughts are in general that I just need to be able to handle the boat myself when its just the boys and I or I am taking friends and family out.

Roller furling jib and main? all lines led to the cockpit, a bomb proof autopilot/self steering mechanism?

What about anchoring systems? Is there a way to anchor and control the engine from the bow using some type of remote autopilot?

So many questions...this is an amazing learning curve...part of what attracts me to it is that there is so much to learn and know. They could offer college level courses on this stuff...the list goes on and on doesn't it?

Really feel the need to get this stuff wired before making the leap.

FYI: They've constructed a bunch of new concrete docks in Seward. Are you coming all the way over to Seward? Whittier has had some new construction as well with the new Princess lines coming in.. as far as transient moorage...I don't know.. you might have better luck in Seward.

Do you have the Cruising Guide to Prince William Sound by the Lethcoe's? Probably a good investment.

Sam

Sam
Old 02-01-2009

Iannis is on a distinguished road
Hi Sam,
and welcome. I am myself a new member to sailnet, but could not help realizing that you are following a similar path to mine. I live "very close to your area", just down the road, Eastern Mediterranean sea.
Although I've been sailing for ages, only recently have I decided to change my 38 footer to a smaller one, precisely because of my 10 year old son. I too wanted to have a boat that would suit a single-hander with a 10 year-older, that would make him be more involved. FYI just bought a Beneteau First 27.7, which fits the bill, both for the needs as well as the budget. Don't know whether it is suited to your climate though.
Enjoy sailing with your kids!
Old 02-01-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Welcome Sam...I do agree with all lines led to the cockpit but you can pretty easily do that with ANY boat. You might look at boat with either fractional or cutter rigs (with furlers) to minimize headsail handling issues. You should have a mainsail that is also easily reefed or furled from the cockpit. An autopilot is a must. For anchoring...a windlass with cockpit remote control will allow you to drop the hook while controlling the boat.
Check out the bluewater boats list on the buying a boat forum as a good starting place.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.