Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2009

Simplertimes is on a distinguished road
Looking to fix up a boat to live aboard.

I am looking for advice that people might have for my future as a liveaboard. My first step is to find a boat. I am thinking a good size for me is around 30 to 34 ft. I am a 25 year old male with not much money. I know that throws up red flags when it comes to boat ownership, but I always find enough money. I am crafty and simple. I have my eye on a Alberg 30 that needs a lot of interior work. I'm a wood worker so I plan on doing most of the rebuilding/refinishing myself. I am not in a hurry, but am saving up to eventually set sail and see the world. Any advice on reinforcing a smaller boat like that for blue water would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Find the boat that is in good shape (hull and rigging) first and foremost. Forget sailing the world stuff right now. As for the rest, hang around here and enjoy yourself. Feel free to ask away.

It is a noble dream. Nothing wrong with it. Let no one tell you different.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 02-04-2009

Thanks for the reply. Any advice on 30' boats that could be better than others for living on(inside layout, space, head/shower)?
Old 02-04-2009
1968 Soverel 33-1

Sinuous is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Sinuous
I have no useful advice whasoever, being brand new to this as well. But my wife and I just bought an old 33-footer and are ecstatic about it.
Old 02-04-2009

klubko is on a distinguished road
Don't turn back 30' is just enough, but a lot depends on displacement, as you probably know. I wouldn't bother with a shower on a 30' as it would consume too much space, there are other ways to wash. As for the toilet, we love our bucket, my second choice would be porta potty. Less wholes in your boat, less things to break.
Do you know Retire Onto A Sailboat Ton's of useful information collected from people, no one sided opinions.
Have you read the Pardeys? You might not want to sail without an engine and electricity, but they have lot of useful tricks how to stay afloat with limited budget.
We are fixing our 30' footer with a very limited budget ourselves, also greenhorns

Last edited by klubko; 02-04-2009 at 10:31 PM. Reason: bad link
Old 02-05-2009

Thanks for the advice. I will have to check out those links.
Old 02-05-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I am most knowledgeable of 36+ foot boats for LA, versus under. My knowledge is not based upon firsthand at that size range.

Go to the boat buying section and put in a thread. Be very detailed. Tell Sailingdog to be nice!!!

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 02-05-2009
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
Actually, your FIRST step should be finding a place to keep your new boat; probably the hardest part of the process.
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 02-05-2009

SeaWolf is on a distinguished road
The thought of someone just getting started brings a smile to my face. I don't know how much sailing experience you have, but I'll give you the same advice we give everyone. Read everything you can get your hands on about sailing, cruising and living aboad. Living Aboard Magazine has some really good articles, as do the more established magazines, but I'm partial to Living Aboard. Go to your local marinas and boat clubs. Talk to sailors and offer to crew. You'll garner a lot of information and hopefully have the opportunity get on some boats that might be of interest to you. It's a good way to start targeting a 'do-able' size for you and let you know what you like and dislike on a boat. You'll also hear about some good deals on boats that are being sold.

Good Luck

Loree
Aboard SeaWolf
Old 02-05-2009

I am planning to put the boat in my back yard while I work on it so all of my tools, and the boat, are handy. I just don't know how to get it there if I find one without a trailer. I'm sure I can get it moved there but I can't imagine how much that costs, probably a small fortune.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.