Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2009
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Since we're quoting people here.....I'd advise that from here on out you make haste slowly. (g)

Congratulations, get your survey, and then begin the long process of figuring out everything she needs to fly south. I wouldn't be too eager to put to sea for that trip until I had a hundred hours or so in her underway. There's worse things to do than shake down a boat in NY Harbor.
Old 02-22-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Yes, you bought Glenn's boat. I just talked with him.

Glenn is a neighbor, best friend, and a straight shooter. He's a good guy to deal with. For instance, he handed-down to me a baby backpack, that he could have put on eBay for $70. (Reminds me I should pass it on to the next person.) He inherited the boat and doesn't know much about sailboats at all. I don't really know much more than that. I haven't seen the boat. With 6 (usually 7 of us), we needed something bigger.

If you want to celebrate the deal, Glenn likes to have a shot or two of scotch.

You can use Sailnet to help find a crew. I did, to good success.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
. .
. .
. .

Last edited by Bene505; 02-22-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2009

Taffy1960 is on a distinguished road
Hi Bene 505,

thats great ... good to know. thanks for the recomendation. He sounds a good guy on the phone. I'll be up there mid april. I'll be carrying a good quality scotch !! Hope we can meet then.

This sailnet is great for sharing. Good people are still out there!

Ian
Old 02-22-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Ian, er, Taffy,

This internet 'thingy' is shrinking the world as we know it. Bene505 is good friends with the seller of your Allied. I have met and sailed with Bene505 (aka Brad) through and because of this website. You will meet all kinds here but most of them are just insane about boats ('welcome to the asylum').
Buying without a survey is considered a bit daft especially for the size (and presumably cost) of boat you are now the proud owner of. Worse things have happened recently in the financial markets though then your purchase. Get a survey done and if there are items that need to be addressed before you get here in April drop me a line via the private message (PM to sailnet addicts) facility here. You do need 10 posts to be able to access the PM facility though so keep on posting here.
It turns out that I am in the NY area and have way too much time on my hands and would love to help you in any capacity I can. Heck, I would even go and photograph the boat for you as it is now for free. My only constraints are that I have my own boats (yes, boatS as in plural, so who is crazy here?) to get ready to put in the water.
Welcome to the club and cheers!

Everybody has one:

Old 02-22-2009

Hi CalebD,

Small world alright. Brad's been really helpful. You have a Tartan 27? I was looking at those, -- nice boats. Happy though with the seawind ....

Thanks for the help offer ... fantastic ... I may take you up on that. For example I need to locate a surveyor to list the work I'll have to do, and a mechanic to check out the motor. Any recomendations welcome. Here's my private e mail so as not to clog up the board.
dr.ianscott at yahoo dot com

I'll look forward to your mail.
thanks
Ian (Taffy is a nickname given to all those from Wales, the land of singing and rugby)
Old 02-22-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Congratulations Ian. Welcome to sailnet as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffy1960 View Post
FIRST BOAT = ALLIED SEAWIND II

Some of you may have felt this on the purchase of your first boat.
It’s 4:30 am. I have a mixture of feelings loosely based around EXCITEMENT and FEAR!

After over a year researching reviews, reading the excellent posts on this site, etc. I have bought an Allied Seawind II, 1976. ketch. (wait for it = bought kind of blind at a good price, yes I know I should / will get a survey etc etc please don’t chastise me too hard..) But I am after all-- semi crazy, and in love with the dream.

She’s been well looked after. One owner. Original engine. Will need electronics package (recommendations anyone?)
What electronics are you looking to get? Radar? Instruments? Chartplotter? VHF? SSB? AIS? EPIRB?

Personally, I'd recommend the TackTick instruments—the T104 package specifically, which will give you speed, wind, depth, temp, and an NMEA 0183 interface.

For radar/chartplotter, I'd recommend going with Garmin. The Garmin 18HD has been very well recommended by a knowledgeable user here by the name of Maine Sail. I have used their chartplotters and have been very happy with them.

For VHF, I'd say the Icom M504 is a good one, with full Class D DSC, including NMEA 0183 input/output.

SSB, the Icom 802 is the way to go.

EPIRB—I would recommend the ACR Globalfix iPro, which has a small LCD display so that you can read the position data off of the integrated GPS.

Quote:
I’m a 48 yo Brit (academic/writer) and she’s in New York. The plan? 15-20 April 09, Paint the bottom (advice please, she’s been sanded/blasted = which paint? Technique?)
I'd recommend using Interlux Interprotect 2000E to barrier coat the bottom and then paint with the bottom paint of your choice.

Quote:
Put her in the water, mount masts etc. Overhaul / check engine condition. Then, I’d thought I’d pay / invite anyone who has more experience than me to come sailing. That way I can feel more confident on the boat. So the invitations there anyone --

Oh, the plan after? All being well, end April, sail her down the coast to Florida. Once again passengers welcome!!
Would help if you said where she was lying... I'm sure there are quite a few members near where she is... Obviously, on the east coast someplace. Might even get some volunteers for crew.

Quote:
It’s a tall order. I’m not what I’d call an experienced sailor. And although it may not appear that way, common sense available + willingness to learn.

Maybe (hopefully) I’ll be laughing at this post years on, with many nautical miles under my belt --

For now – I just can’t sleep !

IAN
Congratulations... post photos when you can. I generally recommend that you get a flickr.com, photobucket.com or other photo sharing website account, and upload the photos there. Then, once you have 10 posts, you can link to them by using the provided IMG code that they have.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-01-2009

Thanks for the tips everyone -- very helpful.. these communities are great !! well done to the administrators!!

My boat hull # 34 is in Northport, ny I'll be there mid april if anyone is curious to see her on the hard. I'll be painting first, then putting her in the water. Volunteers/ crew / spectators welcome!!!

Ian
Old 03-01-2009

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
Hey I am located right near Northport harbor is the boat in Brittania?
I would love to help you out getting her ready on weekends just got to ask my dad.

Last edited by mrwuffles; 03-01-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-01-2009

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Ok Taffy, You have your ten posts now so PICTURES!!!!!!!
Welcome to Sailnet, and to the nightmare err umm I mean dream of sailboat ownership

Old 03-02-2009

Dream or nightmare? mmm Well, it has to be a dream to reach exotic islands, sample unusual cultures, taste forgotten foods, cross oceans chased by dolphins, visit the sites of old Europe, sail up the Nile ...... (insert yours here .....)
And the nightmare? Better you tell me.

Mr Mrwuffles ........ yes she's at Britannia, Northport. Happy to have you along. Mid april I'll be painting and putting her in the water. Send me your e mail.

Here's a pic of the hull.
Attached Images