Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2009
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Nightmares hmm ok.

There was the day I got my first yacht, and in the middle of heavy rain shower as I passed a lee shore the engine died.... There was no wind, so my then girlfriend and I inflated the dinghy and with it and its little 3.3hp outboard towed the yacht 3 hours to our mooring in the rain!

Then there was the day the ferry hit me as I was anchoring, oh yeah and the day I hit the Ferry..........and then the day I decided to go the wrong side of the channel marker cause it looked deep enough to me........or the time I gave Dad a go at taking the boat into the Marina and we rammed a lovingly restored wooden Ketch....

One of the biggest nightmares was when I realized that the lead keel on my first boat had severe rust damage and the repair was going to cost too much with no guarantee of the problem not resurfacing, I would have to sell her.

Your right though the dream makes it all worth it. I have learned so much from these experiences, with plenty more still to learn I will continue to chase the dream despite the nightmares.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by chall03; 03-02-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2009

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
Ouch ramming a restored ketch does not sound like fun.........I think I am going to have nightmares from that one.
Old 03-02-2009
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
I still have nightmares about it.

My dad has alot of motor boating experience, so i figured of course he would be fine putting my little boat into a slip. Alas no, he came in far too fast and totally misjudged the angles so he aborted at the last minute.... as he aborted though he panicked and wasn't really thinking about where the boat was headed and at full ramming speed we hit the ketch on the starboard aft quarter. I was on the bow and tried my best to deflect but it wasn't much good, our pullpit trashed a staunchion and their lifelines and then.....crunch.

I got the number of the ketch owner from the Marina, and it was one of the hardest calls i've ever made! Far more nerve wrecking than calling a girl!
Luckily he was a really nice guy, I payed full costs and he was very understanding and gave me alot of good advice.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-11-2009

richardb123 is on a distinguished road
Allied Seawind

Hi - I just found this thread. I was very interested in this boat - but as I live in Victoria BC it proved impossible to get down to see it before it sold. Congratulations. I also spoke at lenght with the yard and had a good feeling about it. How is it working out?
Old 04-11-2009

Taffy1960 is on a distinguished road
Hi,

Yeah sorry I "stole " it from you.

Like all boats this age, she needs some work. We'll be putting her in the water in a week or so's time if you are around.

Ian
Old 04-12-2009
Terrylad

Terrylad is on a distinguished road
Congratulations. Seawind ketches are legendary. You can easily get by without a full survey. Talk to a good sailmaker, a rigger, a marine mechanic and a boatbuilder, and they'll tell you what to look for and how to fix it. If you have a diesel, spend an hour with a diesel mechanic going over the equipment and the bleed method. The rigger will point out the best methods of setting up the rig for now and the future, according to your budget and your sailing skills. Same with the sailmaker. Just talk to the experts, save yourself a lot of time and expensive mistakes.
Old 04-12-2009
Terrylad

Terrylad is on a distinguished road
Smile G'day. New old boat owner

Soverel 37 sloop, 1972. Centerboard 3'6"/9.0'. Just bought her as an ebay bride, and was greatly surprised when I finally got to see her down in Hampton VA at the slip. This oldy worldy looking sloop is very conventional down below, with huge storage under the cockpit, and overall is built solid. The deck and coach house appear to be solid fg with big dogdown ports. No leaks. She came with a fairly new 24hp diesel, runs sweet.

I expect her to be pretty tender with only 3'6" draft, but that makes it a dream in the Bahamas, where I plan to winter this year.

So now it's commissioning time, haul, wash, bottom paint, minor rig work, sail maintenance and some brightwork and general elbowgrease. Then a run up to New England from Norfolk VA - outside or gunkholing up the Chessie? TBD

Last edited by Terrylad; 04-12-2009 at 04:24 PM. Reason: stole thread inadvertently - sorry
Old 04-12-2009

Keep my email in case it ever come stime to sell.

Thanks

Richard
Old 04-12-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Ian,
Glad you are getting some work done on her and welcome to New York. Spring is a nice time of year here.
I will be launching my Tartan 27' this coming weekend but I would love to meet you some time before you head off on your new Allied which I briefly visited.
I hope you had a brilliant time in Chile.

Everybody has one:

Old 04-13-2009

Allied Seawind II

If the boat is basically sound you got an unbeliveable deal, based on the last asking price I saw. In fact, at first I thought it was too low - and probably a scam. You can put 20k into that boat and still be into it for less than asking price for many of these boats. Lucky you. Thanks for the offer to visit but I live about 4,000 miles away. Otherwise I would be right there. Ian, if and when you decide to sell please shoot me an email. I may very well be interested. richardbrunt@uniserve.com