SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   AM I CRAZY? Just Bought Allied Seawind - Help!! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/51756-am-i-crazy-just-bought-allied-seawind-help.html)

Taffy1960 02-22-2009 03:57 AM

first Boat = Allied Seawind Ii

Bene505 02-22-2009 08:07 AM

Taffy,

Congratulations! You came to the right place (excepting the lawyer-motivated rule of not being able to post negative facts about any products).

There's a thread on how to get the most out of Sailnet, to help with searches, etc. And there are surely other Seawind owners on board.

Just curious, did you buy my friend Glen's boat?

truehand 02-22-2009 08:57 AM

Hi Ian,
I know the feeling well!
Surveys can be a little overrated anyway, they miss things too and besides, _anything_ can be fixed, anything.
I, too, bought a boat (albeit, smaller) without a survey and sight unseen! It was the most rewarded risk I've ever taken, by far. "risk is rewarded, recklessness punished"
Speaking from my experience, you did the right thing. I suspect it will all work out even better than you can imagine!!!

I just took a look at a Seawind ketch on yachtworld 'Rainflower' GORGEOUS!

Are you gonna sail her back to the UK?

follow your bliss!

dave

deniseO30 02-22-2009 09:08 AM

Congrats on 1st of the 2 happiest days of boat ownership! Pictures pictures pictures Please! there's one at my yacht club. A-36 nice boat!

camaraderie 02-22-2009 10:15 AM

Ian... welcome and congratulations. Fine boats!

mrwuffles 02-22-2009 10:18 AM

Welcome sounds awesome, what is life with out a little risk?

sailingfool 02-22-2009 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taffy1960 (Post 453013)
... I have bought an Allied Seawind II, 1976. ketch. (wait for it = bought kind of blind at a good price, yes I know I should / will get a survey etc etc please don’t chastise me too hard..) But I am after all-- semi crazy, and in love with the dream.

Just gotta say it, for the benefit of other Sailnets who may be encouraged do something so utterly rash..without a survey you have absolutely no idea what a "good price" for that boat was. I hope you show more caution when you head towards water that is over your head.

bubb2 02-22-2009 11:07 AM

You know that you just joined a cult. No not Sailnet, Allied owners. Great Boats and the owners are fanatical about them.

Allied Seawind II Home Page

truehand 02-22-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingfool (Post 453105)
Just gotta say it, for the benefit of other Sailnets who may be encouraged do something so utterly rash..without a survey you have absolutely no idea what a "good price" for that boat was. I hope you show more caution when you head towards water that is over your head.

Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.
Helen Keller

Bene505 02-22-2009 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taffy1960 (Post 453076)
Hi Ben505,

thanks or the encouraging message.

is glen a friend of yours ?

my e mail is dr dot ianscott hat yahoo dot com
would be good to hear from you!

Ian

Yes, I've known Glenn for years.

You might want to edit your email to something like "dr dot ianscott hat yahoo dot com" everyone will know what you mean, but the spammer's robot programs won't pick it up as they scour the web looking for emails to spam.