Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2009
Mark on Camper 58

NICHOLSON58 is on a distinguished road

Idon't know how it took me three years into our restoration / retirement project to find this site. This looks like a lot of great community.

photos posted CAMPER & NICHOLOSON 58

My wife and I, mad fools that we are, bought a hurricane damaged 1984 Camper & Nicholson 58 Ketch and had it trucked from Ft Lauderdale to Grand Rapids, Michigan in 2007. The trip took over a week on the road. The trucker blew 17 tires.

It arrived with just about enought time to rush through a winterizing project. The boat was never intended to run in a freezing climate so it was a lengthy process to empty and or glycol fill the farious systems. Many parts are in the basement for safe keeping. We used this oportunity to trace and label all lines, pipes, and hoses. We removed 5 truck-loads of inventory and spare parts.

The major first project was to have the two hurricane hull penetrations professionally repaired. One in the port side and the bow stem was crushed. Both were about 8 inches above water so the boat never shipped serious water. All stanchions and pulpits were destroyed as was most of the toe and splash rail. Summer of 08 we scraped and blasted the bottom and ground out thousands of gel blisters. I also found 8 delaminations of up to about 5 inch diameter. These all proved to require a feathered patch of about 12 to 18 inches diameter and about 1/2inch thick. The hull below water is kevlar and glass and about 1 to 2 inches thick - massive. It is also egg-crate reinforced with 4 inch thick fiberglass ribs in two directions. Note that in the hurrican, I am told that the boat took out the docks on the canal where it got loose.

The new bottom went on in August 08. After fairing and filling with West, we ground the entire bottom with 80 grit and applied 6 coats of INTER PROTECT 2000E and 3 coats of VIVID yellow. Note the block M in blue on the keel. GO BLUE.

The boat was moved again, this time to Muskegon Michigan where the remainder of the repairs will take place. With luck and continued employment we will repaint the masts, the hull, step the masts, install new stanchions, pulpits and rails, acquire a winter cover by fall of 09. We are itching to get the boat in the water by 2010.

Our plan is to cruise the Great Lakes short-term and to retire to the boat and cruise blue water. Hope the economy makes a properous come back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2009

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
Welcome sounds like you are having fun with your project, good luck.
Old 02-22-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Welcome to sailnet.

You have quite a few SN neighbors over there on Lake Mi.
Old 02-22-2009
Alex, not full of crap

werebeagle will become famous soon enough werebeagle will become famous soon enough
welcome aboard. Glad to have you.

Courtney's my Dancing Angel

Where am I, and where's my paddle?
It's not impossible, it just costs more.
Give me ambiguity, or give me something else.
Old 02-23-2009

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Welcome to Sailnet and best of luck with the little project.
Old 02-23-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Mark, 'beautiful vessel, great propects, 'see you on the water, Aythya crew
Old 02-23-2009
Mark on Camper 58

visit us this summer

Stop by Torresens Marine in Muskegon if you are near and meet us.

We should be progressively easier to find as the yard clears and we are left standing alone. See our pictures posted in the Gallery. White hull, yellow bottom, blue water stipe and big block M on the keel.

Mark & Lynn
Old 02-24-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
congratulations on your new project. Once you get the hang of boat ownership, you can move up to a big boat!
Old 02-25-2009
Mark on Camper 58

My cousin has been sailing blue water on a sister-ship to ours for about 8 years. He pointed us at our current Camper & Nicholson 58 because they liked their's so much. You can access their cruise record at this link

African Queen World Cruise

It is kept by their former full-time skipper, Tony. African Queen is currently for sale. Also follow the links to the Orion Project and Tony's other links.
Old 02-25-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
MArk,

Let me add my welcome!

It seems you really have your work cut out for you with this refit, but it also sounds as if you're cut out for the work too!

It must be handy having your cousin as a resource. That was quite a trip they took in their CN58. Looking at the track of their journey, I couldn't help wondering if they ever regret not having crossed their outbound route to "close" the circumnavigation? From the looks of it, one long tack to leeward might have done it! Do you ever kid him about it?

All the best of luck to you with the refit. We don't have too many boats your size here, but I hope we can be of assistance all the same. And maybe you can teach us a thing or two as well!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.