Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2009

LindsayHerforth is on a distinguished road
Show us some sun. Were freezing!

Hi

I have been sent here upon recommendation of a friend, I hear this is a pretty great community of people who are interested in sailing and seem to be very in love with the sea.

I currently live in Pittsburgh, and attend school here as well. I don't know much of anything about sailing and would like to learn. After receiving fantastic help on other sites, I was hoping I would have a similar positive experience here.

As I plan to take sailing lessons this summer, I am excited to explore an interest that has been blooming for quite sometime now. Summer seems to feel very far away in this gray city.. To escape the rain, snow and slush two of my roommates and myself will be taking a trip to Florida during the first week of March.
We will be traveling to Orlando making several stops along the way to enjoy the scenery and relax from a stressful overload of work we currently have.

The three of us are very interested in spending as much time as we can on the beach and near the water. None of us have ever been sailing and were wondering if there is anyone interested in showing us around. We are willing to travel along the eastern coast of Florida for such an opportunity to come and meet you.
If there are no interested sailors here, we will look toward a more commercial experience. If possible we would like to avoid this, we are willing to pay any interested sailors, and would prefer our money to go to the individual helping us, not the company.

We are open to any kind of boat (there are three of us) on which we would are open to the duration of the trip whether it be two hours or two days.

As I don't know much of anything about sailing, I have no idea if there are even people in Florida sailing now, or this early in the year. I admit to being completely unknowing, and as a stab in the dark - this is where I start.

The three of us are very laid back - artists, the two beside myself are both male cinema students, I study philosophy and psychology. We are always studying and need to see some slightly warmer weather for a bit.

Send me a message if you are interested,
-lindz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2009

Show us some sun. Were freezing!

Hi

I have been sent here upon recommendation of a friend, I hear this is a pretty great community of people who are interested in sailing and seem to be very in love with the sea.

I currently live in Pittsburgh, and attend school here as well. I don't know much of anything about sailing and would like to learn. After receiving fantastic help on other sites, I was hoping I would have a similar positive experience here.

As I plan to take sailing lessons this summer, I am excited to explore an interest that has been blooming for quite sometime now. Summer seems to feel very far away in this gray city.. To escape the rain, snow and slush two of my roommates and myself will be taking a trip to Florida during the first week of March.
We will be traveling to Orlando making several stops along the way to enjoy the scenery and relax from a stressful overload of work we currently have.

The three of us are very interested in spending as much time as we can on the beach and near the water. None of us have ever been sailing and were wondering if there is anyone interested in showing us around. We are willing to travel along the eastern coast of Florida for such an opportunity to come and meet you.
If there are no interested sailors here, we will look toward a more commercial experience. If possible we would like to avoid this, we are willing to pay any interested sailors, and would prefer our money to go to the individual helping us, not the company.

We are open to any kind of boat (there are three of us) on which we would are open to the duration of the trip whether it be two hours or two days.

As I don't know much of anything about sailing, I have no idea if there are even people in Florida sailing now, or this early in the year. I admit to being completely unknowing, and as a stab in the dark - this is where I start.

The three of us are very laid back - artists, the two beside myself are both male cinema students, I study philosophy and psychology. We are always studying and need to see some slightly warmer weather for a bit.

Send me a message if you are interested,
-lindz
Old 02-22-2009

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Welcome aboard,

I can't help you right now with taking you sailing as my boat is on the hard till May. But I'm sure someone in the south will contact you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 02-23-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Welcome to sailnet. Please don't post the same thing in multiple threads....as that is against the TOS you agreed to and considered spamming. If you haven't been sailing, it is less likely that you'll get a volunteer to take three n00bs out on a boat for the day.

If you're serious about learning more, I'd highly recommend you get Dave Seidman's book, The Complete Sailor and have all three of you read it. It will at least give you a foundation to understand what is going on and possible help you become more than movable ballast.

I'd also recommend you read the newcomer's POST in my signature to help you get more out of your time here.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-23-2009
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Be patient, Lindsay.

Someone from florida will be along after awhile. It's a slow night so not very many people have seen your posting. And there'll probably be somebody around who'll be more than willing to take the three of you out for a sail, despite yer' not knowin' nuttin'. (g)

That book Dog recommended above is a good one and you can get it cheap over on amazon. A quick read and full of good basic information about things like the front, the back, up and down, and how the boat get's around. Welcome!
Old 02-23-2009

Thanks for the welcome. I apologize to all it may have offended to my post on two threads….as I didn’t catch the clause in TOS I agreed to. My intention is not to spam. I recognized prior to posting this thread that there may not be anyone interested in taking us out on the boat, even if we offered to pay. It was my hope there was someone who loved the experience enough to share it with a few people who have never had the opportunity.
I would imagine the company of such a person would be far more enjoyable then going through some larger company once we arrived.

Thanks for the literature recommendation, I read quite a bit and look forward to picking it up.
Old 02-23-2009
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Go over to the Sailor's Pub in Off Topic and ask some of the guy's over there for some help in gettin' afloat. I don't think there's a one of them that lives in Florida but they know people, if you get my drift. It's a social thread so just make yourself comfortable and see what develops.
Old 02-23-2009

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Welcome to Sailnet and best of luck.
Old 02-25-2009
Picnic Sailor

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Welcome to Sailnet.......and hopefully to sailing.
Books are a good place to get some idea and actually some of the beginner's learn to sail courses can be alot of fun in their own right, the good ones are setup in quite a social way to teach people that sailing is mean't to be fun. Sometimes going out on the wrong individuals boat can give you the opposite idea.

Best of luck, hang around here as there is plenty to learn on this site.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.