Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2009

jeffwagn is on a distinguished road
I want to head out into the unknown for a while

Hi, I'm Jeff. I am 32 years old, single, no kids, no immediate family, I own a drywall company in the Twin Cities of Minnesota. Work is getting harder to stay busy. Ever since I was a child, I have always dreamed of somehow getting a sailboat, nothing fancy, putting it on the Mississippi to head south, out into the Gulf and head out for the open sea to the unknown. Has anyone ever done this? I do not know how to sail but it is time for me to do this. I gave myself a time frame of 1 year to set sail. I want to know whatever it is I can to be at sea for extreme long periods of time. What to do when reaching foreign places, how has someone else done this and what their experience was. I dont know where else to go, so I am constantly online looking for ideas. I feel kind of stupid even writing this but who knows. Some say I am crazy, but they don't know where I have been, what has happend in my life for me to make this decision. It is just something I need to do. I've lived and worked on the west coast, surfed big waves too, east coast, Islands off of Florida. I am lucky I know a skilled trade of drywall so I can take this with me wherever I go.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2009

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
This site has many answers to your questions
Atom Voyages | Voyaging Around the World on the Sailboat Atom with James and Mei
Old 04-11-2009

jeffwagn is on a distinguished road
Thank you very much crazyru!!!
Old 04-14-2009
Tenacious Pragmatist

kidshelley is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up follow your bliss

I'm doing the same thing. With only recent sailing experience and one year til casting off, I'm cramming full-time, learning all I can about everything. Determination can offset many obstacles; good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michelle
Old 04-14-2009

davidstuart is on a distinguished road
My advice to you Jeff would be read everything you can lay your hands on, but remember this, these so called experts.....who gave them that title...no one except themselves. There are no experts, there is no-one who knows everything, everybody is still learning....so just get out there and do it and more importantly enjoy doing it. The best of luck to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwagn View Post
Hi, I'm Jeff. I am 32 years old, single, no kids, no immediate family, I own a drywall company in the Twin Cities of Minnesota. Work is getting harder to stay busy. Ever since I was a child, I have always dreamed of somehow getting a sailboat, nothing fancy, putting it on the Mississippi to head south, out into the Gulf and head out for the open sea to the unknown. Has anyone ever done this? I do not know how to sail but it is time for me to do this. I gave myself a time frame of 1 year to set sail. I want to know whatever it is I can to be at sea for extreme long periods of time. What to do when reaching foreign places, how has someone else done this and what their experience was. I dont know where else to go, so I am constantly online looking for ideas. I feel kind of stupid even writing this but who knows. Some say I am crazy, but they don't know where I have been, what has happend in my life for me to make this decision. It is just something I need to do. I've lived and worked on the west coast, surfed big waves too, east coast, Islands off of Florida. I am lucky I know a skilled trade of drywall so I can take this with me wherever I go.