Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2009

Gongorismo is on a distinguished road
Where to now?

I have only recently turned 62 and have often wondered about the pleasures of small boat lake sailing. At my age I think it's probaby now or never, but I know virtually nothing about what to do. Shall I contact the local USCG for instruction before looking for a sea worthy craft, or vice versa? I guess that would be the smartest thing to do, to read up on the educational material they would have available - and later procure a skiff (correct term?). Is there a certification process involved? Any advice would be good advice. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Take some sailing lessons, and get familiar with how a boat works. I drove my instructors crazy with questions, but I got answers. Do some reading on functions of boats, and that will head you in the right direction to figure out yoyur needs. Once you know your needs choosing a boat will fall in place, and you can always build one if you are a handy type person......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-29-2009

saildork is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the Net, Gongo. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum from a multitude of seasoned and wise old salts. You came to the right place.

For starters, you should review the thread by the Sailnet Administrator on the rules of the Forum (if you haven't already), and follow by just browsing through the various subject areas, archives, sailing articles that have been posted here throughout the years. You will go into information overload very quickly. But you will learn a great deal in the process.

Where do you live and plan to sail? What are your ultimate goals for sailing...a circumnavigation, cruising the Chesapeake, local dinghy racing, etc.? Your answers to these and many other questions will lead you to where you want to go. And this forum is a good place to start. If you live near a sailing community, or have friends who sail, that will be your best starting point. No time like the present!!

Welcome to the party!

Pat
s/v Stargazer
Old 05-29-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gongorismo View Post
I have only recently turned 62 and have often wondered about the pleasures of small boat lake sailing. At my age I think it's probaby now or never, but I know virtually nothing about what to do. Shall I contact the local USCG for instruction before looking for a sea worthy craft, or vice versa? I guess that would be the smartest thing to do, to read up on the educational material they would have available - and later procure a skiff (correct term?). Is there a certification process involved? Any advice would be good advice. Thank you

Sailing is not hard. My dad started at 59 or 60 with a Tayana 42 (though he has spent a lot of time with me and we worked on it together). He took an ASA class for a formal education, but I doubt it is necessary.

If you enjoy reading and can learn that way, purchase Chapman's Piloting and The Annapolis Book of Seamanship. I prefer the latter of the two. It will give you enough of the basics to get started. An ASA class would be good too. They are all over the country.

After that, you will be in a good position to start off with a sailboat. Ask questions here, red the threads... whatever you need and we will see if we can help.

Regards,

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.