Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2009

tylax6 is on a distinguished road
Newb michigan sailer looking to learn and have fun!!!

names Ty, im 23, live in west michigan by lake macatawa and lake michigan. Growing up by the lake and going out on boats all the time is why i wanna sail. Im currently looking to buy a cheap smaller (14-18ft.) boat to learn to sail. Something like a flying scot, boston whaler, O;day I or II, Capri 14.2. flying junior. bucc and mutts, FJ, I-14, and any others.

Right now im looking for a boat that i can trailer, set up and sail by myself, but also big and sturdy enough to sail with my girlfriend too.

Glad to be on here, ive been lurking around the site for 2 years now!! haha
If anyone knows of any good boats for sale that fit my need let me know, or have any tips let me know!

Thanks!

Ty
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2009

GOOD NEWS!!!......Well I bought a boat eariler this year!!!!

Its a 15'5" Snipe Sailboat. Bought it from a very nice guy around me. Its in really good shape for the age and the price I got it for. He included 3 sets of sails with it too, but im sure ill have to learn first before I know the difference.

NOW THE BAD:

2 weeks after I bought the boat I had to have back surgery (at 23...yea). Its been 1 month today. I had a disk that was herniated in 2 spots, one in my spinal canal, and the other in my nerve root pinching my sciatic nerve. BUT, 2.5 weeks ago my leg pain started coming back again in full force. SO, next week i have to go to the doctor again and review the MRI i got 3 weeks ago and see if I need another surgery which is very likely.

So I havent been able to even take hte boat out this year because I cant bend over, twist or ligt anything right now, and prolly till Chirstmas. BUT NEXT YEAR!!!!

I did get the boat in the yard yesterday with my girlfriend and we rigged it just for fun but forgot to take some pics...
Old 09-09-2009

saildork is on a distinguished road
Ty, So sorry to hear about your back. I herniated a disk in '84 but fortunately never needed surgery. Healing took a long, long time. Very frustrating. I was in my mid 30s at the time and not inclined to sit around much. But with time, it did heal and, although I had to give up running and cut back on golf, I did get back on skis, boats etc. I hope the surgery won't have to be done again. Be patient. You'll get back on your feet and on the boat. You have youth on your side.

Hope you and your gal have fun when you can finally get out there. I'm not familiar with the Snipe, but small boats are a blast to sail. I know you'll have some great fun when you get kinks worked out of your back.

Fair winds,

Pat
Old 09-09-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey ty - welcome back dude! Get that back fixed up and get out on that snipe!

If nothing else - just go sit and have a beer on her. Hang tough.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-10-2009

Thanks guys, yea i really hope that my back wont hold me back too much...i guess all the racing motocross, snowboarding, lacrosse, and other crazy sports are catching up to me already.

Im really excited as is the girlfriend (erin) to get out there, and all the talk about sailboats has gotten her dad wanting one, so we have been in the search for a 27+ foot boat for their family. They have some money and also have a few boats and sea doos to sell for it. kinda fun.

and SMACKDADDY, funny you say that cuz yeasterday when we had it all rigged we had a few brews and just sat in it and had some fun....my mom and dad even were out there having some fun too.

fair winds too all, but i really need to get out on someones boat right now to have some fun!! any takers?