Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2009

freetosail is on a distinguished road
Planning a Transatlantic Voyage

I joined this site to get connected with a community of people who can understand my dream. I have a dream to travel the world, and I plan to begin my circumnavigation when I turn 25. I understand that this is a difficult undertaking, but I believe that I have the desire and determination to make it happen. In preparation for this voyage I am planning to set sail on a transatlantic voyage directly after graduation. I've never left the United States (except for Canada, does that even count?) and am dying to see the world. As a student at an elite institution, I've always been told that I would be responsible for making a positive contribution to society. How can I make a positive impact on the world if I know nothing about what it is really like out there? I want to travel, to see the world, to learn different languages and experience different cultures. I want to see where and how I can make a difference first hand.

Last edited by freetosail; 07-14-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2009

sck5 is on a distinguished road
i saw on your website that you are going to spend $6500 on a boat to sail around the world. The boat you get for that much money is not one you (much less a crew of 6) will be able to sail around the world or across the ocean for that matter.
Old 07-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
i saw on your website that you are going to spend $6500 on a boat to sail around the world. The boat you get for that much money is not one you (much less a crew of 6) will be able to sail around the world or across the ocean for that matter.
I've corrected the website to be a bit more clear. The needed amounts represent how much I need to fundraise above and beyond my available resources. It also doesn't take into account for the fact that I will have additional resources in the future that I will allocate between navigational equipment, safety equipment, mooring fees, insurance, voyage expenses... I need to buy this boat soon, but once I have it I should have most of the resources I need to get it ready for the voyage, and the rest ... that's why I'm fundraising. There's only so much I can do as a full-time undergraduate in addition to working part-time.

The boat I have in mind has already circumnavigated twice, and is valued at much more than 6500$. It is worth 72,000$ brand-new according to the survey, and it has been well-taken care of. I'm in contact with the owners and will be inspecting it soon, but I'm a few thousand short from being able to take this boat home, if it turns out to be what I'm looking for. I'm already working full-time and bringing in as much as I can. It's a proven 36' cruising sailboat with brand new sails and rigging, and if it'll be a little crowded at least I'll have gotten myself out on the open water. (btw the crew size isn't fixed, it's hard to get a fully committed crew until they see the boat in the harbor)

I'm doing the best I can to work within my means so that this voyage actually gets going and I'm glad to take any advice you can give me.

Last edited by freetosail; 07-10-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-11-2009
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Six people is a lot on a small boat. Based on my experience, including a transatlantic, with crews from two to five and some single-handed hops I think three or four (including you) is the crew size that will most likely be successful.

The physical issues of the boat are relatively easy to manage. The interaction of crew is critical to a successful passage. People have to have a common understanding of expectation and a common standard for behavior and care of the boat.

Good luck realizing your dream.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-11-2009

catamount is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetosail View Post
The boat I have in mind has already circumnavigated twice, and is valued at much more than 6500$. It is worth 72,000$ brand-new according to the survey, and it has been well-taken care of. I'm in contact with the owners and will be inspecting it soon, but I'm a few thousand short from being able to take this boat home, if it turns out to be what I'm looking for.
Asking price and selling price are rarely the same thing. Why not go ahead and make an offer that is consistent with your currently available resources? Maybe the seller will go for it... This is a buyer's market!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

, a new voice for ocean conservation
Old 07-12-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Oh geez...I can already hear the paypal register going kaching kaching.

A boat the owner paid 32K for and "invested" $17k is "WORTH" $72 grand in a depression/recession? Is math no longer on the curriculum? Are you that gullible?
Now the owner is probably asking less than $32K and it looks like a catamaran...and 9 out of 10 says it will cost more to fix it than to buy it. And 10 out of 10 says it was never designed for windward passages for 6 in the high latitudes. There ain't a <$30 cat on earth that is.

Just WHAT have you accomplished that leads you to believe other people should fund YOUR dream instead of our own?
Go to work and LEARN to sail...then fund your own dream.
After four (or more?) years at an "elite" New England institution I'm sure your parents are so proud that after a $200k education you can't seem to figure out how to make a contribution to the world without someone else funding a trip for you and 5 lucky friends.

Last edited by camaraderie; 07-12-2009 at 12:59 AM.
Old 07-12-2009

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Cam - you're saying exactly what I wanted to. Its unbelievable how many people come upon this forum and post that they're crossing oceans on a $10k boat that they've been watching on flea-bay

There is no "deals" in boating...there are so many (broke) people sharing the dream that you almost always pay market price
Old 07-14-2009
Picnic Sailor

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Free to sail. Welcome to Sailnet.

Firstly let me say that wanting to do something different from the norm with at least a portion of your life is a very worthwhile, admirable pursuit......your dream is a great one.

Now Secondly, Cam's and other responses on here may seem cynical to you, however you have to understand that nearly every other month someone young comes onto Sailnet stating something along the lines of 'gee my dream is to sail the world, please donate on my site, so I can buy a boat and go snorkelling in Tahiti on your money'.

The problem with this is that alot of the folk on here are people who have just worked their asses off for most of their life, to now be able to enjoy their own dreams of sailing...

From your original post you seems like a great guy. I'm sure your intent is pretty innocent, but in short just be very careful about asking other people to fund your dreams.....

Let me say that the same people attacking you on here though, would also be the first to offer you help if you were in trouble 'out there'.
Also if you figure out how to pay for your boat without paypal, these folk probably would also be the first to invite you onboard and offer you a drink in a anchorage.

Now A Cascade 36 in my fairly limited experience wouldn't be a bad boat to do it in......

5 people would probably give each other the poos before you even got a quarter of the way across the Atlantic......Do some reading on water tankage, and provisioning and you will see why this alone is going to make 5 people a bad idea.

Best of luck with making your dreams come true.

Old 07-14-2009

I appreciate all replies that I get even if they're negative. Preparing for this trip is going to be a lot of hard work and require every dime that I earn this year, and I'm prepared for that. When I began my planning, I was determined that I could make this trip on my own limited funds, but as I continued to do research, I began to think that maybe a bit of support would be necessary. I've lived an extremely impoverished life up until this point, and after years of always being in fear of losing the roof over one's head one develops a unhealthy relationship with money and are often forced to resort to begging. I learned what it's like to work full-time to bring in the only paycheck when I was still in high school. So, I know what it means to work hard for what you want, which is how I became a student at MIT.

I apologize for making such a desperate move, I have to learn that I'm above such tactics at this point in my life. I've never banked on the help from strangers, and I will still accomplish my goal. I'll request to have this post deleted in a few hours, and focus on using this community to increase my knowledge of the open waters before I set sail.

Thanks very much.
Old 07-14-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Sailing off around the world on some beatup cat with $6500 and the rest in borrowed money with a bunch of your friends (and no sailing experience for the most part) is not a life-changing experience... it is a life ending one. Perhaps a little research into the number of well found vessels and very experienced Captains that will never be seen again will enlighten you into the reality of your dreams.

There is nothing wrong with your dreams. I have been there too. Everyone has. It is the approach that needs some polishing - including educating yourself on the realities of what you are describing. It would be the equivalent of saying I am going to buy some boots at Walmart and go hike Mt Everest. If you said this on a forum of experienced Mountain Climbers, the response would be the same.

Unless your email address and other items are faked (which I suspect they are not) you DO have a very good educational background from a very fine school. I know a bunch of people from there. Use it to fund your dreams and future. Then, when you head off to the open water, you will have the skills, funds, and knowledge of knowing you (and no one else) made it happen. That knowledge going to sea is priceless and might just save your life.

My opinions (and I will leave this post up for reasons you can PM me for if you want).

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.