Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2009

offing3g is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Max.A/C size for Honda EU 2000 gen.HELP!!!

I need help from the experts.
Just bought a Beneteau Oceanic 381 year 2000-given up on cost of built in genset. Plan to use a Honda eu2000, but getting conflicting reports on largest A/C unit that will not knock the 2000 out on compressor start up.
Honda say their graph shows that 2000watts may support 11,000btu. That old A/C's need about 3x's running amps, but that newer A/C's need less. Local
Tec's tell me 11,000btu can't possibly work.Hayes Equipment web site says
"For RV generator use, it will generally power roof top air conditioners up to 10,000btu.For marine generator use, it will generally power air conditioners up to 16,500 btu." We are trying to complete the installation this next week!
I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experience with the 2000 & the btu & running amps of their sucessful use. This is my first post & my 3rd sailboat.Thanks in advance

Last edited by offing3g; 08-01-2009 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Time
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2009
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Figure 3-5 times the running amps on start up of any electric motor. You should also be cognizant of the fact that most gen-sets ramp up and down depending on the load and are often unable to speed up quickly enough to take on a sudden very heavy load. I'd go with the smaller a/c unit without actual proof that it'll rock over the larger unit. Remember, the 2000 isn't really that big a generator and you'll use over fifty percent of it's capacity running just the a/c, if you start it!

Here's a site I quickly found: http://www.marineair.com/pdfs/L-2502A.pdf

The number you're interested in is the "locked rotor amps". That's the draw you'll have on start up for the a/c units listed. As you can see, you can run almost any size unit, once you get it started!

Another reason to buy a bit small is that, if your gen-set is just able to start the a/c with no other load, once it's up and running, and you have other appliances running, it's going to trip on every re-start. You'll have to take off all the other load, re-start the a/c, and then turn the lights back on!
Old 08-01-2009

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
In reality, it depends on what A/C you have and how it starts. If your A/C does not have a hard-start capacitor, you can install it easily after which you won't have a problem running at least a 12k BTU A/C off the Honda 2000 - ask me how I know.

I'm sure you have read a lot of the same stuff I have, much of which is either theory or conflicting opinion. As a result, I borrowed a friend's Honda before buying one assured it will/does work.
Old 08-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk View Post
In reality, it depends on what A/C you have and how it starts. If your A/C does not have a hard-start capacitor, you can install it easily after which you won't have a problem running at least a 12k BTU A/C off the Honda 2000 - ask me how I know.

I'm sure you have read a lot of the same stuff I have, much of which is either theory or conflicting opinion. As a result, I borrowed a friend's Honda before buying one assured it will/does work.
WOW! That sounds like the right answer. Tell me more please-details on the capacitor installation.
THANKS!
Old 08-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by offing3g View Post
WOW! That sounds like the right answer. Tell me more please-details on the capacitor installation.
THANKS!
check out this link:
RV Air Conditioner Hard Start Capacitor | ModMyRV

there is a lot of info available through a google search of for "hard start capacitor" which better describes it than i can do
Old 08-02-2009

Smile Honda EU 2000i

Thanks again - I will post my results after we try the solution, Fawcetts Marine of Annapolis have offered a 2000 on trial to prove it out.
Old 09-13-2009

eu honda EU 2000i

Re: Honda 2000 & hard start capacitor -the solution works very well indeed.
Thanks k1vsk.
Old 09-13-2009

palmcoast is on a distinguished road
we run the honda eu2000i for 2 boats a 32 mariah and a 26 bayliner to run ac at night with no probs try adding something else and youll pop the breaker if just one ac we can run the rest of the boat with no probs ie ac charger refigerator lights ect
Old 09-13-2009

redcobra is on a distinguished road
One other note, isn't 11,000 btu's a bit small for a 38' boat? The minimum recommended size for my Pearson 39 is 16,000 btu.
Old 09-13-2009

A recommendation of a specific size A/C in the absence of any info regarding WHERE the boat is, i.e., climate, makes me wonder what the value of that recommendation can be.