Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2009

gbm4th is on a distinguished road
New Sailor; need advice please

I am a new sailor, I passed my ASA course and found sailing challenging but enjoyable. I plan on buying a used 29-35 foot boat that I can stay on for long weekends. I may have a friend stay with me occasionaly. Hunter's and Catalina's are plentiful but strong consideration is going to a Seafarer 30'.

My question for those on the East Coast. I live an hour outside of Philadelphia, about 90 minutes from from Barnegat Bay, Delaware Bay and Charleston, MD and 2 plus hours from Annapolis, MD. I would like some night life nearby if I decide to venture off the boat.

Where would I enjoy coastal cruising as I learn to sail?
Marinas on the Chesapeake are a little expensive; are mooring and a yacht club a good option for me.
Any recommendations on yacht clubs and where to moor the boat?

Thanks in advance. This is a great site with lots of info!

George
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2009

fordo is on a distinguished road
Barnegat Bay is too shallow. Actually all of the New Jersey bays from Sandy Hook to Cape May are too shallow to sail much if you draw more than 3'. Raritan Bay may be too far away for you but the wind is good and the depth is not a problem. It is an active commercial shipping area and not a scenic wonder but it has nice yacht clubs, good services and good sailing.

The Chesapeake is beautiful and a great place to explore, in the spring and fall. For my money it is too hot and windless in the summer. I have sailed through Delaware Bay to get from the C & D to Cape May but I know little else abou it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook