Researching Cruising to see if I can leave it all behind and go away... - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2009

ragdollrae is on a distinguished road
Researching Cruising to see if I can leave it all behind and go away...

I have been great friends with a sailor for 10 years. I have always loved offshore fishing and being on boats. When I met Mark, it was my first taste of sailing. We have taken some small day trips, but nothing massive. He has sailed across the Gulf of Mexico and along the US coast and has quite a bit of sailing experience.

We are seriously talking about going cruising for a year - possibly more if we enjoy it in about 3 -4 years after prepping. He has a Tayana 37 which is out having bottom work done right now.

I would appreciate any suggestions on reading material, websites, or any input about the cruising life. If things go the way that we plan, we would both quit our jobs and leave everything behind. If the cruising doesn't work out, then I will have to look for another job and find another place to live, etc., etc., etc. I have real concerns, but I am also very excited at the thought.

Thanks,
Ragdollrae
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
You have a fine boat and a love for the sea and a good captain.
That is WAY ahead of most spouses with similar concerns that are being dragged aboard!!
What you don't know is how much more WONDERFUL cruising is than whatever workaday life you are leading now! You can cruise the coast and the Bahamas in complete safety and see and do things no one else can and meet great people for years. As you increase your own skills and comfort level, the Caibe awaits and then Oceans if you want.
The hardest part will end up NOT being the decision to go...but the reality that you must return.
I'm going to recommend Beth Leonard and Evans Starzingers site to you as it contains a wealth of things I think you will be curious about..but I also suggest Beth's book "Following Seas" as a great book about the cruising life:
Beth & Evans

I'm sure others will chip in with suggestions. Welcome and good luck.
Old 08-03-2009

Thanks for the information. I will check out the website now. I have also come across your instructional videos and appreciate the time that you put into them. I am already finding them helpful. Every time I have gone sailing, it has been the vocabulary and my lacking knowledge of it, that has caused stress for me. Your videos are helping me to get down some of the terminology that I have struggled with as well as feeding my technical nature by explaining the mechanics. I loved physics and your break down is very much in line with my way of learning.

Thanks again!! I ordered a couple of magazines also and am getting my hands on everything I can to read. I will order the book that you recommended also. This is exactly the type of information that I want!
Old 08-03-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
There is a lot to learn here too. There are some very experienced sailors here. If you really want to make up your mind, go here:

Lets get some good sunrise/sunset pictures....

It isn't going to fill you with all the information you need, but if those pics don't get you excited about how you will wake up every morning, nothing will!!

Goo dluck with it all and let us know how we can help!!

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-03-2009

LakePirate is on a distinguished road
I just finished reading An Embarrassment of Mangoes. It's a good little book for giving you the life of cruising. The author is a women and its from her point of view. I found it very interesting. Here's a link to it from amazon. However I found it Barnes and Noble.
Amazon.com: An Embarrassment of Mangoes: A Caribbean Interlude (9780767914277): Ann Vanderhoof: Books
Old 08-03-2009

Thanks all. I have ordered the books and visited the websites and viewed the pictures. The pictures are great and I had come across them while looking through the site. I plan to navigate around here a bunch as there is a tremendous amount of information. The books will keep me busy for a while and I appreciate the suggestions.

I have not done a search yet, but I decided that asking here about my next question may get me a better answer. Maybe not better, but maybe more knowledgeable. Is there a good way to have an internet connection while cruising? I would not have considered it, but just a couple of weeks ago I was online mid-flight on an airline. It would be a good way to keep in contact with family while cruising. I appreciate any thoughts. Maybe I should post this somewhere else??

Thanks..
Old 08-03-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Cam really said it. Sounds like you are off to a good start. Once you get the confidence it's hard coming back. BEST WISHES in fulfilling all the dreams you may have. Remember it takes years, decades, and lifetimes to gather the knowledge. There's just so much to know. After 20 years, and many, many miles I only realize I know very little........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 08-03-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Rae...first...I only posted the videos. All praise for those should go to Alex of Giulietta who has provided a teriffic resource for sailors!

As to internet while cruising. First...you should understand that cruising is 80-90% staying at anchor or in marinas and only 10-20% underway. It is easy to get internet at anchor almost anywhere along the USA coast via cell phone air card. Of course wifi exists in many places as well.
There is no way to get internet full access when far away from shore except with systems that are beyond the afordability of mere mortals...but it is possible to do e-mail either through satellite phones (like Beth and Evans) or through SSB radio rigs which many cruisers buy. There are a number of threads here on that. Also, when you pull into a harbor in the States or through the Caribbean...there are internet cafe's, free wifi areas and occasionally even wifi services for the harbors themselves.
Staying in touch is more difficult than the 24x7 broadband connection we are used to...but things have improved a LOT in the last few years!
BTW...SKYPE...lets you talk with VIDEO over any computer connection for free and we did this with our family on our travels. It is rather amazing to be chatting in full screen video with family and friends for free while rocking gently at anchor!