SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

I'm the new guy... be nice

1K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 · (Edited)
So I'm strongly considering the idea of living aboard. As it is right now I live in a 450 sq ft log cabin with no cable and no internet (I'm posting from work) and thats too much space for me. I grew up on the water and like small living quarters so I figure it would be a good fit. I would like to know what I'm getting into... Any advice would be great. To be more to the point, I am most concerned about cost of living and maintenance. I thinking between 30'-35'.

Thanks

#5 ·
Where are you planning on doing this. Living aboard would be easier in some parts of the country over others. Finding a marina that allows live aboards can be a problem in some areas too. There are blogs out there of folks currently livingaboard and you can learn quite a bit from their experiences.

#6 ·
In the PNW, a poorly insulated boat is going to cause you condensation problems in the winter time. The previous owner of our boat lived on board down at Shilshoal for 13 years. It has insulated hulls and a good heat source that improved the quality of life considerably.

#7 ·
The child will be fine if you can work out a system where he can burn off energy, and not keep him cooped up. Might bring in a whole new structure to your relationship. You won't be the first to raise a child in small quarters. BEST WISHES in working things out in your favor......i2f

#8 ·
Ya, I have been reading some studies about children raised on boats with some impressive results for sure. One of my other concerns is the maintenance of the vessel. I have read so many different points of view that my head is spinning. I understand that certain boats can be less resilient the forces of nature, but it would be nice to have a ballpark idea of the boats needs. Is there anything to steer clear of for a new boater? Also any suggestions of a boat which might suit my needs?

Thanks

#12 ·
In that case you only need a less expensive boat, and not a world cruiser, blue water boat. That really simplifies things for you. There are older Coronados, Columbias, Cals, Catalinas, and the list is quite huge. Lots of bang for the bucks with nice living space........i2f

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.