Cuttysark Clark - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 08-06-2009 Thread Starter
Cuttysark Clark
Cuttysark Clark

Introducing myself. I bought a 1983 Catalina 30 in May of 2008. She is in fair to good condition with most systems working well. We sail out of Rock Hall, MD on week ends. I need advice on tuning up my stays and shrouds and my battery charger doesn't charge the batteries when I plug in shore power so I need ideas about how to determine if I need a new charger or, is it a wiring problem? We have 5 twenty something kids that love to sail and we usually have a few on board when we head out. I'm sure that having a boat this old will challenge my maintenance know how so I'll need all the help I can get.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 Old 08-07-2009
Hi Joe;

I'm brand new too having just bought a PRIVILEGE 39. Some of my first projects have been electrical in nature, including the battery charger and the solar panels.

I have been opening the breaker on shore power when I leave and letting the solar panels charge the batteries which are at about 12.6 volts when I come back).

If you have a volt meter you should be able to determine quickly if the battery charger is working. What charger do you have?
post #3 of 3 Old 08-07-2009
Last Man Standing
Welcome to SN dudes! You'll like it.

There are lots of guys here who can give great advice on all things battery-related. You ought to do a search of the Gear and Maintenance forum.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.