Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2009

leofischer is on a distinguished road
Question Nantucket38 Technical Info needed

In order to know whether the original engine (Pathfinder 50) is mounted correctly in my Nantucket 38 I need to know whether the propshaft is supposed to come out astern (just past the rudder). I have reason to believe that my engine has been mounted incorrectly (aft port side mounting bracket has been cut in order to allow engine to sit in its current position. On aft starboard side there is a gap of about 1 inch between engine and mounting bracket). Last year when I had to replace the flanch shaft/gearbox, the engine had to be lifted in order to pull the shaft out forward from under the engine. And they put it back in the same way. I just can't believe that this is the correct way. I assume that one reason for the wrong mounting was that the anti-vibration mountings on the port side are very difficult to adjust once the engine is in, and that only aft and forward starboard mountings were used for the alignment of engine/transmission with the shaft. That would tilt the engine and explains the non-centered position of the engine block. In this context it would be very helpful to also know the dimensions of the original anti-vibration mountings (my current aft ones have no space left to bring the aft of the engine further down).
Does anybody know the answers or knows someone who might know? Replies very much appreciated either here and/or to leofischer@cytanet.com.cy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook