soon to be moving aboard a cal 25 - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 09-04-2009 Thread Starter

Red face soon to be moving aboard a cal 25

Hi My husband & I are moving aboard a 25ft sailboat. We have never been sailing and know we have a ton to learn, but we're excited to try something we've always dreamed of doing. We will probably be docked the majority of the time & wont venture out into the open water until we know what we're doing. Has anyone else lived aboard a boat this small or recently moved unto a boat? Any experiance & suggestions would be great!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-04-2009
Last Man Standing

Hey nauti - welcome to SN. I sail a Catalina 27. It's a definitely a small space - and we've only overnighted on ours - but I'd say it will be an experience of a lifetime without a doubt.

Hopefully you've got good ways to keep yourselves cool/warm as needed. With a tight space - every creature comfort counts.

As for the sailing, find someone in the marina who will be willing to take you out and show you how to get from point A to B. It won't take you long to get the basics down.

And ask whatever questions you need to here. Lots of experience sailors willing to help us newbs.

Have fun.

PS - Check out the "Living Aboard" thread. Lots of great info there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
post #3 of 11 Old 09-04-2009
Apropos of Nothing

Wow! Do you have the flush-decked Cal 25 or the other one?
post #4 of 11 Old 09-04-2009 Thread Starter

um not sure what "flush decked" is..
post #5 of 11 Old 09-04-2009 Thread Starter

Thanks so much smackdaddy for the advice. We dont quite have the heating and air part figured out..im guessing we will get a small electric heater and plug it into shore power. We'll definately need it since we live in NC and it'll get pretty cold...
post #6 of 11 Old 09-05-2009
clueless

Neat.... I just got my 29' cal and am in love with it. I am in the same boat as you " so to speak" we have a boat and know way to little to actually sail it yet. But were learning..
Wish you all the best..
post #7 of 11 Old 09-08-2009
Apropos of Nothing

Here's the flush-decked model (no coachroof):

And the other model:

There's not much headroom in the flush-decked model! Though looking at the pics, they might have the same headroom. The flush-decked model might just carry her deck farther forward.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-08-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauticalgirl View Post
Hi My husband & I are moving aboard a 25ft sailboat. We have never been sailing and know we have a ton to learn, but we're excited to try something we've always dreamed of doing. We will probably be docked the majority of the time & wont venture out into the open water until we know what we're doing. Has anyone else lived aboard a boat this small or recently moved unto a boat? Any experiance & suggestions would be great!
We have lived aboard with our kiddo (have two now) and two dogs on a Catalina 380. It was a wonderful experience most of the time (and sometimes it really stinks!! but that is just life). You will enjoy it. Our boat was considerably larger than yours, but there was more of us too.

Good luck with it and feel free to ask any questions you have. Welcome aboard.

- CD

Sailnet Moderator

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

post #9 of 11 Old 09-08-2009 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by painkiller View Post
Here's the flush-decked model (no coachroof):

And the other model:

There's not much headroom in the flush-decked model! Though looking at the pics, they might have the same headroom. The flush-decked model might just carry her deck farther forward.
Oh ok--ours looks exactly like the other one, not the flush-decked one. I can stand just fine, but my husband(at 6'2) has to duck in some spots.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-08-2009
clueless

""Oh ok--ours looks exactly like the other one, not the flush-decked one. I can stand just fine, but my husband(at 6'2) has to duck in some spots. ""

lol, well im not 6,2 but i have to duck now and then in my 29 ' Cal.

Have you made any contacts on the live on Board thread yet? I bet they have lots more insight than the rest of us " part timers"..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.