Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2009

drknmrk is on a distinguished road
Smile New to community.

Hello,
My name is Mark Dwyer and my wife, Sandy, and I are doing some research on living aboard a 52' Jefferson. We live in Va beach and I retired from the Navy after 20yrs. We both still work in the area but looking for a little change from the Norm. I'm trying to gather as much info as possible, I've done some marina checks but would like to know some insights on how much living aboard can cost. We are looking at an older boat, 1988, but it's in perfect condition, so I know how much the payment will be but on average what will our yearly costs be with moderate boating days. Any info would be great. Thanks and good to meet all of you.
Mark and Sandy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey drk - welcome to SN dude.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-29-2009

thanks..hopefully I can get some great info here.
Old 09-29-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Hi, Welcome to Sailnet!

I'm only familiar with Jefferson as a maker of motoryachts. Is there a Jefferson sailboat model?

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 09-29-2009

No it's a powerboat but thought this might be a good place to start with some general info, is this site only for sail boating people? If so do you know of a site that posts for powerboats or live aboards??
thanks
Old 09-29-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
There's tons of info on here - as well as many, many salts that will talk you through just about anything.

You can start poking around in this thread: "The Salt's Corner Table"

It's a thread with some of the best info to some of the most asked questions around here. And you can see who some of the go-to guys are.

Enjoy.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-29-2009

smackdaddy...awesome that's what I was hoping for.
Old 09-29-2009

Smackdaddy - do you know of possible live aboards that are in my area..not that you would know personaly but is there a thread for folks that live in Va area, hampton roads? Or should I just search for folks like that?? Sorry I'm sure I'm going to have a bunch of questions.
Old 09-29-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknmrk View Post
No it's a powerboat but thought this might be a good place to start with some general info, is this site only for sail boating people? If so do you know of a site that posts for powerboats or live aboards??
thanks
No, no problem posting here. But knowing the sort of boat you're looking at helps us to better understand your needs.

There are many similarities between living aboard a sailboat and a powercruiser, but also plenty of differences. A powerboat will have much higher fuel and engine maintenance costs, but won't have costs associated with standing and running rigging or sails, for instance.

Hopefully you will get some feedback from other members here. But to be honest with you, if I were looking at a Jefferson, I'd go sniff around over at Passagemaker Magazine. They even have a live-aboard forum.

All the best of luck to you!

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 09-29-2009

John...that's great info. Thanks and I'll check out the Passagemaker.