SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Anyone recommend a good sailing site? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/59582-anyone-recommend-good-sailing-site.html)

lahso 11-06-2009 01:08 AM

Anyone recommend a good sailing site?

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I spent the last week reading every post on SailNet from 2002 forward, including watching all of Giu's videos, the WHOLE BFS thread, and trying to decide which Cat, the 22 or the 25, I can take around the pond once or twice...

I've been on boats all my life (or behind them on a wakeboard), but I'm new to sailing... besides a few times at the helm of my dad's Hunter 35 on Lake Texoma. I live in SoCal and bike past Marina Del Rey every day on the way to work, so I finally stopped by a school, MarinaSailing.com, and signed up for lessons. I'm waiting on a few friends to flake out before I start (giving them till tomorrow to pony up).

Not sure what I'm looking for yet... the experience and learning to start... Knowing myself as a thrill-seeker (but no adrenaline-junky) I imagine I'll be trying to figure out the deeper physics... I'm a pilot already, so I know a lot about fluid dynamics, and I'm a rock-climber so I can tie some pretty gnarly knots... now I just gotta learn to do it on the water.

Obviously the first paragraph is not true (MDB you call it, right?) as no one could actually read the BFS thread.

My only concern...

I get sea-sick like you wouldn't imagine. I figure there's only one way to get over it...

Anyway, just wanted to say hi to the community and the mods... Thanks in advance for your patience when I'm 'thick'... I'm sure I'll have some questions.

Best,
~mt

--
----
"Those moments of obtainment are few and far between so I must find peace in the search itself" ~Chris Sharma

Stillraining 11-06-2009 01:39 AM

Ya had me there for a minute and I wanted nothing to do with you...:p

Sick ..dude I said to myself...:laugher

Welcome aboard ....I think

smackdaddy 11-06-2009 10:16 AM

Hey lahso - welcome to SN dude.

Now go read FightClub and tell me the steamy details of what went on between PB and PB.

badsanta 11-06-2009 10:35 AM

Welcome! and to answer your question, I think you found the "site" and for sea sickness try a scopolamine patch from your Dr.

lenl1540 11-06-2009 10:43 AM

Welcome!
Ginger crackers will help you through.

lahso 11-06-2009 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stillraining (Post 539111)
Welcome aboard ....I think

Thanks! (I think - not sure what I'm getting myself into)

Quote:

Originally Posted by smackdaddy (Post 539157)
Now go read FightClub and tell me the steamy details of what went on between PB and PB.

SD - I think I'm gonna have to save that thread for when I take a vacation from work... it's a little overwhelming to a newb.

Besides, I need to plan my trip around the world after I get my ASA101/103 :D

As for the seasickness - Thanks for the rec's Badsanta / Len. I read somewhere that you can get over motion sickness through habituation training (repeated exposure w/ increasing intensity). I usually carry a bottle of straight liquid ginger-extract when I've been out before. Works like a charm and it's kinda like taking a shot of whiskey (or drinking liquid sushi).

~mt

--
----
"Those moments of obtainment are few and far between so I must find peace in the search itself" ~Chris Sharma

Cruisingdad 11-06-2009 11:35 AM

Had my finger on the button there for a second! HAHA! Anyways, welcome aboard.

Brian

lahso 11-06-2009 08:40 PM

Sweet, my first Lesson is Sunday.

Can I test out of 101 since I joined SailNet?

~mt

Stillraining 11-06-2009 09:27 PM

Not if you take any of our advice.

Nice avatar picture.

blt2ski 11-06-2009 10:28 PM

Oh, and quit calling smacky SD! Talk about an INSULT! in the mean time, welcome aboard!

Last thing we need on here is two SD's.......the original is bad enough...........smacky tho, what can you say, he smacks you on the left, then the right, hug you......all with an Italian mafia style accent.........lie goes on!

Marty