Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2009
One foot on the ground.

lahso is on a distinguished road
Anyone recommend a good sailing site?

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I spent the last week reading every post on SailNet from 2002 forward, including watching all of Giu's videos, the WHOLE BFS thread, and trying to decide which Cat, the 22 or the 25, I can take around the pond once or twice...

I've been on boats all my life (or behind them on a wakeboard), but I'm new to sailing... besides a few times at the helm of my dad's Hunter 35 on Lake Texoma. I live in SoCal and bike past Marina Del Rey every day on the way to work, so I finally stopped by a school, MarinaSailing.com, and signed up for lessons. I'm waiting on a few friends to flake out before I start (giving them till tomorrow to pony up).

Not sure what I'm looking for yet... the experience and learning to start... Knowing myself as a thrill-seeker (but no adrenaline-junky) I imagine I'll be trying to figure out the deeper physics... I'm a pilot already, so I know a lot about fluid dynamics, and I'm a rock-climber so I can tie some pretty gnarly knots... now I just gotta learn to do it on the water.

Obviously the first paragraph is not true (MDB you call it, right?) as no one could actually read the BFS thread.

My only concern...

I get sea-sick like you wouldn't imagine. I figure there's only one way to get over it...

Anyway, just wanted to say hi to the community and the mods... Thanks in advance for your patience when I'm 'thick'... I'm sure I'll have some questions.

Best,
~mt

--
----
"Those moments of obtainment are few and far between so I must find peace in the search itself" ~Chris Sharma
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Ya had me there for a minute and I wanted nothing to do with you...

Sick ..dude I said to myself...

Welcome aboard ....I think

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 11-06-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey lahso - welcome to SN dude.

Now go read FightClub and tell me the steamy details of what went on between PB and PB.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 11-06-2009

badsanta is on a distinguished road
Welcome! and to answer your question, I think you found the "site" and for sea sickness try a scopolamine patch from your Dr.
Old 11-06-2009

lenl1540 is on a distinguished road
Welcome!
Ginger crackers will help you through.
Old 11-06-2009
One foot on the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Welcome aboard ....I think
Thanks! (I think - not sure what I'm getting myself into)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Now go read FightClub and tell me the steamy details of what went on between PB and PB.

SD - I think I'm gonna have to save that thread for when I take a vacation from work... it's a little overwhelming to a newb.

Besides, I need to plan my trip around the world after I get my ASA101/103

As for the seasickness - Thanks for the rec's Badsanta / Len. I read somewhere that you can get over motion sickness through habituation training (repeated exposure w/ increasing intensity). I usually carry a bottle of straight liquid ginger-extract when I've been out before. Works like a charm and it's kinda like taking a shot of whiskey (or drinking liquid sushi).

~mt

--
----
"Those moments of obtainment are few and far between so I must find peace in the search itself" ~Chris Sharma
Old 11-06-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Had my finger on the button there for a second! HAHA! Anyways, welcome aboard.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 11-06-2009
One foot on the ground.

Sweet, my first Lesson is Sunday.

Can I test out of 101 since I joined SailNet?

~mt

Everything looks like a nail when you're a hammer.
Old 11-06-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Not if you take any of our advice.

Nice avatar picture.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 11-06-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Oh, and quit calling smacky SD! Talk about an INSULT! in the mean time, welcome aboard!

Last thing we need on here is two SD's.......the original is bad enough...........smacky tho, what can you say, he smacks you on the left, then the right, hug you......all with an Italian mafia style accent.........lie goes on!

Marty