Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2009
..........huh?..

Izzy1414 is on a distinguished road
You kiddin' me, teach? We've got at least one huge advantage over them youngsters learning to sail. We don't care nearly so much how silly we look making those rookie mistakes!! The same mistakes everybody makes, regardless of age. And hey, I was talking just last night with (member) captbillc over on another sailing forum. He's 87, and still goin' strong. So I'll be looking forward to your sage advice, from an old salt with 30 years experience when you catch up to his age. Now get out there and get started!!

I'm not sure what Dickens are, but I think they may be important and I sure as hell don't want them scared out of me.......Izzy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-12-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Are you kidding? You are not too old. In fact you are never too old.

Like a previous poster said, you are probably of average age of people who sail any distance.

Regards,
Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
. .
. .
. .
Old 11-12-2009

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
If you're too old, then I'll have to sell my boat next year, so I vote NO. Go for it and have a ball. The best is yet to be.

Mike
Old 11-20-2009

cameliaMichy is on a distinguished road
of course not
As Garffin said "Age is a matter of mind and if you don't mind, it don't matter!"
if you have will, it is not important
And sail can make you more heathly!! it help you comfortable and free....eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!
Good Luck
Old 11-20-2009

jephotog is on a distinguished road
"Too old to Rock and Roll too young to die"
Might as well start sailing.

Who knew at the time that generation would be playing rock and roll into their 60s. I have raced on a sailboat with an owner in his late 60s. It was a very competitive boat. Go for it, still a lifetime of learning to do if you start sailing now.
Old 11-20-2009

2Gringos is on a distinguished road
I just turned 59 saturday, and wife and I are signed up for an ASA bareboat/catamaran course next month. We plan to charter in Greece, Tonga, NZ, and buy a used catamaran to keep here in the Caribbean area for local use...like from the Bahamas to Trinidad and Central America.

A year ago, I was nervous about being able to scramble around on a wet deck, but then eight months ago I got a new knee...and now I am looking forward to it.

I don't wanna hear any more of this "too old" crap. Go for it.

Last edited by 2Gringos; 11-20-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-20-2009

rugila is on a distinguished road
Just to throw my bit into this.

At 66 I knew nothing about sailing, had never hauled a halyard (didn't know what one was). Only experience was steering a friend's boat for a short while a few years earlier.

But I was keen, so bought a 34ft sloop, cruiser-racer, and taught myself with a bit of advice (I didn't want assistance) from friends, reading, and forums such as this.

I love it and am getting more adept all the time. Have Sandra as crew but she knows even less than I knew. Longest single expedition so far has been 240miles, but have plans for much more.

In my view it's a matter of enthusiasm, time, mental outlook and (if you're lucky - I am) physical condition (as we all know some money can help too) and not much at all to do with age as such.

If you're keen then go to it. Sailing is really great!!
Old 11-20-2009
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road
Dude (or Dudette as the case may be),

I started sailing at 60 and I've got to tell you, its a helluva lot easier than frikin' golf. Take a class, crew on a friends boat, commit yourself to learning. You're a teacher afterall... surely ya can learn.

MGM
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD
Old 11-20-2009
pittsburghteacher

pittsburghteacher is on a distinguished road
I need a good beginner's sailing reference book to read

Like I said before. Not a sailor, but wanna b. Need guidance to a good referrence book
Old 11-22-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Best overall learning to sail reference book is probably Dave Seidman's The Complete Sailor. It is probably the best written, has good illustrations and covers a wider breadth of material than many other sailing primers. About $16 at the local bookstore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghteacher View Post
Like I said before. Not a sailor, but wanna b. Need guidance to a good referrence book

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.