Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2009

philngrvn is on a distinguished road
Realizing a dream

I've been dreaming about buying a sailboat for many many years and finally this last spring I bought a 79 Hunter 25. I was purchasing it from a marina that was more then 60 miles from where I was going to keep it. I'd been reading sailing books forever but I'd never sailed a day in my life. Before I bought the boat I put an ad on craigslist asking if anyone could show me the rope's (I mean lines) so I could sail it to it's new home port. I couldn't believe the responses I got from all kinds of people wanting to help me and offering to go with me to pick up my boat. I thought this is amazing that all these people I don't even know would help me out like this. I soon came to realize the addiction that is sailing and all addicts out there who would do just about anything or find any excuse just to get on a boat.

Needless to say I found a great teacher who showed me enough to get me started and from there I've become an addict myself. I got the boat to the new slip that I try to keep her out of as much as my job will allow me. I've only been sailing for 8 months now but I know this is something I plan to do for the rest of my life. When I'm on the boat it's like a whole new world where all the stresses and worries of my regular life dissappear. My only regret is that I didn't get a boat sooner.

I'm glad to be a part of the club and I wish you all nothing but good winds and may the currents be always in your favor.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Welcome aboard!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-15-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Great post, welcome! I know just what you mean, I wish I had taken up sailing a long time ago too.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-15-2009

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by philngrvn View Post
I've been dreaming about buying a sailboat for many many years and finally this last spring I bought a 79 Hunter 25. I was purchasing it from a marina that was more then 60 miles from where I was going to keep it. I'd been reading sailing books forever but I'd never sailed a day in my life. Before I bought the boat I put an ad on craigslist asking if anyone could show me the rope's (I mean lines) so I could sail it to it's new home port. I couldn't believe the responses I got from all kinds of people wanting to help me and offering to go with me to pick up my boat. I thought this is amazing that all these people I don't even know would help me out like this. I soon came to realize the addiction that is sailing and all addicts out there who would do just about anything or find any excuse just to get on a boat.

Needless to say I found a great teacher who showed me enough to get me started and from there I've become an addict myself. I got the boat to the new slip that I try to keep her out of as much as my job will allow me. I've only been sailing for 8 months now but I know this is something I plan to do for the rest of my life. When I'm on the boat it's like a whole new world where all the stresses and worries of my regular life dissappear. My only regret is that I didn't get a boat sooner.

I'm glad to be a part of the club and I wish you all nothing but good winds and may the currents be always in your favor.
Good to meet you Phil.
It's true. If you love it, sailing gets in your blood. It means different things to different people, but there is something special about it in and of itself. It is sort of like a drug.
Fair winds back at cha.