I'm just a poor boy. Is this just fantasy? please advise. - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2010

secondsun is on a distinguished road
There are ample boats out there for much less than you have saved up. And if you can live in a shack then you can live in a small boat.

I lived on a 25 foot hunter for 4 years in Michigan all the way to St. Thomas. The benefit of living on a small boat is you won't have any rent expense compared to an apartment. Infact there is a 36ft Cal for sale in Holland, Michigan for $7k right now and it's in pretty good condition. But I took the 12k a year I would have spent on rent and put it into the boat and my savings.

To make this dream a reality you might consider moving from Alaska. Keeping warm in a small boat in northern climates is tough. Besides trying to cruise the Bearing Sea in a small boat might not always be pleasant or safe. But if this is a dream that won't stop then do it now. Get the best boat you can for your money and go cruising. You can get experience by volunteering as crew at your local boat club. Unless ofcourse if they are ice boats.

Gl
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-13-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
AKSteve
I think there are a lot of boats available that would do what you want to do. I agree with Jeff to a certain extent but there were both well built boats in the past just like there are now. One thing to look for in the basic construction is bulkheads that were solidly glassed in to the hull and not just bolted to the liner. This gives a much stronger structure with less hull twisting and movement. This also eliminates the early Catalina 30. I'd look at the Yankee 30, Allied, Alberg, CS, Seafarer, Tartan, Bristol, Ericson, Albin and Cape Dory as possibles.
Old 01-14-2010
GreenasGrass

adamsaquatics is on a distinguished road
I am thinking there may be some really terrific bargains in Haiti right now.

I'm a shrewd investor who hardly ever had money.
Old 01-14-2010

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
I have a funny feeling most of the boats in Haiti are hauling chunks of broken concrete now. The Question Steve asked about Cat 30 - Anything is fun to sail!! But if you buy a Catalina there are those on this forum who will give you a lot of static! Personally I have never owned a Catalina or a Hunter, but have spent a lot of time on both. My favorite is O'Day (I owned a 28 for many years) but now have a big heavy slug for comfort. I would probably have kept the O'Day 28 but the inside headroom was only 5-10 and my wife is 6-0 and I am 6-6. When we were in our 20's this was no problem, but 60 year old backs and necks cannot take the strain of constant crouching. To the question of affordability, I sold my 28 for 14K 6 years ago when the market was good, and she was in great shape. In today's market, you should be able to find an equal boat for 10-12. If you can find a satisfactory fresh water boat, you will avoid the spar and rigging corrosion problems inherent in salt water. My boat would have serious problems if it were in salt water. The 37 Endeavour has a keel stepped mast, which other threads on this forum say (rightfully so) will always leak. Salt water in the bilge will attack the aluminum fuel tank and aluminum water tank, both of which are in the bilge. I had a friend who had an Endeavour 42 who had fuel in his water supply and water in his fuel tank because of this.

1980 Endeavour 37 sloop, currently in the Mississippi near St Louis
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-14-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Keel stepped masts do leak - rainwater through the sheaves at the masthead. If they leak saltwater, presumably through the partners, maintenance has been poor. With a proper mast boot this should not happen.
Old 01-15-2010
GreenasGrass

adamsaquatics is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAGTIMEDON View Post
I have a funny feeling most of the boats in Haiti are hauling chunks of broken concrete now. The Question Steve asked about Cat 30 - Anything is fun to sail!! But if you buy a Catalina there are those on this forum who will give you a lot of static! Personally I have never owned a Catalina or a Hunter, but have spent a lot of time on both. My favorite is O'Day (I owned a 28 for many years) but now have a big heavy slug for comfort. I would probably have kept the O'Day 28 but the inside headroom was only 5-10 and my wife is 6-0 and I am 6-6. When we were in our 20's this was no problem, but 60 year old backs and necks cannot take the strain of constant crouching. To the question of affordability, I sold my 28 for 14K 6 years ago when the market was good, and she was in great shape. In today's market, you should be able to find an equal boat for 10-12. If you can find a satisfactory fresh water boat, you will avoid the spar and rigging corrosion problems inherent in salt water. My boat would have serious problems if it were in salt water. The 37 Endeavour has a keel stepped mast, which other threads on this forum say (rightfully so) will always leak. Salt water in the bilge will attack the aluminum fuel tank and aluminum water tank, both of which are in the bilge. I had a friend who had an Endeavour 42 who had fuel in his water supply and water in his fuel tank because of this.
First....I hope everybody has dug through their pockets to help out our friends in Haiti. I wanted to go down and help but am presently over committed to other very pressing problems.

I am darn close to 6'6" myself. Now in my 50's, comfort has become a large issue. So I would listen closely to any advice that you gave about boats that are kind to giants.

I have a good budget right now, I could spend over 50. I have been a cabinet maker and can do various maintenance on a good, older boat. I am looking for a boat that tends to hold its value for a couple years.

I want to cruise around N and S America for a couple years.