SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Complete newbie

793 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  bljones 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone!

I've been looking for a sailing website and I found one. A little about me....total landlubber who has always been enamored of sail. I sailed a neighbors little boat a few times, 10 or 12 footer, about 25 years ago. We moved away from the lake and I haven't been on one since. My knowledge level is probably in negative numbers.

Being one who enjoys doing things in the old way the thought of having my own little sail boat appeals to me. I hunt with flintlocks and long bows and I fly fish with bamboo and silk lines. My sports cars are from the 70's, (wish they were older!!!). Therefore, propelling myself and my wife with sail fits right in with my make up.

At this moment I couldn't put up a coherent post about anything. I'm here to learn and as with most web sites, hopefully make some friends. I would like a smallish boat, in that 12-16 foot range, but have no clue as to what I should be looking for, how much to spend, what kind to get, whether to build or buy.....I know nothing. I wish I had something positive to offer the board but honestly, I am the greenest of green. I'll be checking the posts and more than likely asking enough questions to either bore or anger some....but I gotta start somewhere!!!!

Looking forward to a great experience. Thanks in advance to all.

Vic

See less See more
#3 ·
Great intro! Welcome aboard. You already have one thing in common with most of the contributors here- we all started out pretty much not knowing what we were doing, but wanted to learn.

As far as building vs. buying, the answer is a question- are you the type of guy who would rather spend more time sailing or more time building?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.