Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2010
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
Noob - Greetings from Portland Oregon

Hello Everybody.

Getting into sailing this year. Been buying a 23-ft, trailered Sundance 23 from a friend's dad. In May, she's mine and I'm going to moor her about 30 minutes from my place, perhaps even closer. Planning on sailing the Columbia River a little north of Scappoose, up towards Longview WA and down towards the coast, Astoria. No desire to hit the ocean at this point.

Thanks to places like this and the abundant resources of the internet, local libraries, Netflix, etc., I'm learning a ton.

I plan on joining a local club, SOS, and perhaps crewing on a similar boat a few times before I actually haul up a sail on my own.

Currently investigating moorages and costs of insurance. Going to go through all the wiring and make sure everything's kosher. Going to look into solar panels for helping to charge my batteries.

The standing rigging is new, the motor rebuilt, I see one cleat that'll need replacing. The fiberglass is in very good condition. I have wood and metal working skills and have a small shop. I'm sure I could do fiberglas work, if and when needed.

I read Don Casey's, This Old Boat, borrowed from the library. Planning on buying my own copy real soon.

Hope to learn a lot here. I've just finished watching Disk 2 of the Annapolis School of Seamanship videos. My Sailing for Dummies book is starting to get dog eared.

Anyway, happy to be here. Very excited about getting out on the water, killing the motor and feeling the rush of sailing on my own.

Carl

PS - Did a bunch of sailing as a kid out on Long Island Sound with my dad's friend's boat. At that time, it was almost scary.

I'm also into kayaking, fishing, hunting, gardening, cooking, reading, I play guitar, bicycle (thinking about commuting to work), and I brew my own beer and enjoy time in my small wood and metal working shop.

Last edited by carl762; 01-14-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey carl - welcome to SN dude. You'll learn a tone here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 01-18-2010
Sundance 23

Thanks Smackdaddy.

Already have learned a ton. Great website.
Old 01-18-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Welcome aboard, Carl. Good choice in reading material- This Old Boat may be the most dangerous book in my library, because it makes me believe that I can actually fix things.

Smack is right, most people here have learned a tone, except me. i am tone-deaf.
Old 01-18-2010
Sundance 23

Thanks for the welcome. Reading the Old Boat book convinced me that I can do many many repairs, but my weak spot is in the area of electronics. Definitely need to build skill levels there.

I work on my tone with one of many guitars I have hanging around, including at work. Home away from home is a guitar store close to my house.